Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

V low ferritin but normal hemoglobin?

(3 Posts)
MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 06-Feb-16 00:24:55

I went for a check up this week and had some routine blood tests. It turns out my ferritin is at 3 but my hemoglobin is normal. What's going on? I've always had low ferritin (not this low though) and never had any symptoms like tiredness or hair loss etc. I have been asked to take an iron supplement for a month and go back..... All my other levels are normal.

StarTravels Sat 06-Feb-16 10:08:32

Have you given birth recently or lost a lot of blood? Do you get heavy periods? If there's no obvious explanation I would ask the GP to investigate the cause as low iron is a symptom not a diagnosis. You must feel awful with a ferritin of 3.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 06-Feb-16 13:08:40

No, none of the above. I'm actually on a skiing holiday, skied for 6 hours yesterday, feel absolutely fine. I think it's because my hemoglobin is normal, ferritin is only the iron reserve that Hg calls on. I've had low ferritin levels before, several years ago, was investigated for blood loss and nothing found. Took iron and my levels got up to normal but now they're down again. Might ask to see a hematologist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now