Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

breastmilk in sticky eye

(5 Posts)
Tilzbilz2402 Wed 03-Feb-16 22:31:56

Hi

My baby has a bit of a Gammy/conjunctivitis eye. I know it happens easily but was wondering how many times you'd put breastmilk into eye and wipe to help ease it before seeing if he needs to see the doctor?

Ta

BumWad Wed 03-Feb-16 22:35:21

Have you put bm on? I remember wiping DS eye with bm and his conjunctivitis cleared up overnight think it was one application.

I wouldn't really want to leave it more than 36 hours I suppose.

CocktailQueen Wed 03-Feb-16 22:35:22

Hmm, try it for a day then if no improvement see gp?

Karoleann Wed 03-Feb-16 23:07:27

Recent studies found that most conjunctivitis clears up as quickly without antibiotics as with. Its usually 4 days. If you notice a white spot on the coloured bit of the eye it is serious, but your baby would be really agitated as well.

Breast milk is sterile so its fine, you can use cooled boiled water and cotton wool to remove any discharge. It can be contagious so make sure if they come into contact with your pillows etc that you wash at a high temperature.

Tilzbilz2402 Thu 04-Feb-16 02:46:35

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now