Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone who has had a dodgy eye condition - please tell me whether you think this is an eye emergency (pictures included)

(8 Posts)
hmcAsWas Wed 03-Feb-16 17:18:18

So ds' eye. A little red on the outside, and a raised red lump on the inside. Don't freak out at the pic of the inside of his eye - looks awful on that photo largely because to expose the inner eyelid he had to pull it down which made his pupil go up etc. Doesn't look that bad in RL. Just focus on the raised red lump on the inner eye lid.

Anyways went to the chemist this morning for something for it - she told me to bring him along so that she could take a look. When she looked at his eye she exclaimed with a note of urgency in her voice:"You need to see a doctor!!" It seemed a little dramatic - both ds and I were taken aback

So....I won't bother with the GP - fu**ing faff trying to get an appointment this side of 2017, but I could take him to the eye casualty at the General Hospital - planning on doing that tomorrow morning rather than driving 15 miles and pitching up this evening. After all, he has had it for three days and it is less irritating now than it was on day 1. He says it currently gets a 1 out of 10 (with 10 being agony) for discomfort, whilst a couple of days ago it would have got a 3 (so its improving...)

I am guessing a blocked tear duct?

Should I drop everything and go now, or go tomorrow morning given that it isn't troubling him particularly?

hmcAsWas Wed 03-Feb-16 17:22:14


hmcAsWas Wed 03-Feb-16 17:23:49

Might post this in chat for traffic

TheoriginalLEM Wed 03-Feb-16 17:25:51

Doesn't look like a blocked tear duct, could be a stye but it looks a bit blistery and infected to me. So yes, id go to the Dr but not bother with casualty i don't think.

hmcAsWas Wed 03-Feb-16 17:28:48

Okay thanks TheoriginalLEM - I agree that it needs to be looked at but don't think its excessively urgent

FarrowandBallAche Wed 03-Feb-16 18:12:52

I would go to eye hospital asap tbh. Your GP will only send you anyway.

LaGattaNera Wed 03-Feb-16 18:23:13

Personally I would try GP first assuming you can get an appt for tomorrow - many GPs are good with eye diagnosis and they will tell you if you need to go to Eye Casualty. When I went to Eye Casualty recently I was there for 4 hours and then they said I would have to have an op and would send me an outpatients appt but my GP could have done that as surgeries can book these online now - I wish I had gone to my GP and maybe waited half an hour in the waiting room rather than drive to hospital, pay to park then wait then have to go back to car to top up ticket and wait some more.

hmcAsWas Wed 03-Feb-16 18:28:40

Okay, thanks - good advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: