Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone diagnose what they think is wrong with me please?

(5 Posts)
ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Sun 31-Jan-16 17:51:10

My hair in the last 4 weeks has gone horribly lank and thin looking. I don't think i've got hair loss because i can't actually see any more hair than usual coming out, its just that my hair LOOKS so thin if you see what i mean.

I'm 50 and have been taking statins for 2 months. That's the only change I've had in the past 6 months

Another change has been I've been using a parlux hairdryer.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions . Someone mentioned under-active thyroid?

elephantoverthehill Sun 31-Jan-16 17:59:25

Hi This I am a similar age and on Statins too. I used to not have thick hair but lots of it. I noticed this too but I just put it down to menopause. If it's any consolation it is not now a disaster if I don't wash it every other day. However I never heat dry my hair so it could be coincidence or it could be the hair dryer.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Sun 31-Jan-16 18:03:18

Thanks elephant. Think i'll go and get checked out for iron deficiency and thyroid disorder. I've just been reading the hair loss thread.

You say that you put it down to menopause - would HRT help then?

NorfolkEnchantsToday Sun 31-Jan-16 18:23:18

I'm a student nurse and my first thought would be getting your iron levels checked and maybe taking a b vitamin complex for a month to see if it helps

elephantoverthehill Sun 31-Jan-16 18:44:13

Funnily enough back in the summer I asked my GP to check my iron levels as I was feeling as I did when I had aneamia (sp?) before. I had bloods done and all was fine. Best of luck with yours, I think it well worth getting things checked especially at our advancing years grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now