Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mennorhagia treatment

(7 Posts)
Lemongrass57 Thu 28-Jan-16 22:56:10

I have mennorhagia (no idea if that's spelled correctly looks wrong every way I try). My periods are ridiculous. Long, heavy, irregular (I used to skip months but now I seem to have them too frequently). I've been anaemic as a result.

Background: in my 30s, no children, no need for contraception. I've never been on hormonal contraception. No plans to TTC at present but I would like something reversable if that changes. I have a physical health condition which there is some debate about whether it means the pill in contraindicated. I have some mental health problems - long standing (on/off for over a decade) depression and anxiety mostly. And yes I am overweight.

GP is suggesting nexplanon. Many people with my physical condition have nexplanon according to her and she treats three or four.

She tells me this will stop my periods and the stories you read online about it making bleeding worse are very rare. And it is, apparently not a concern with mental health (I've had friends share horror stories of the pill making things worse.)

So I was wondering what people's experiences are. Does nexplanon reliably stop periods, is it hit and miss or is it a nightmare of worsened bleeding? What about mental health? Obviously we're all different but I'm trying to get an idea.

AveEldon Fri 29-Jan-16 19:29:44

Have you seen a gynae?
Have they investigated the cause of your heavy periods?

Lemongrass57 Fri 29-Jan-16 20:52:16

No - pretty sure GP is blaming my weight. Doesn't help that I've not had consistent GP care as they all keep leaving the surgery.

AveEldon Fri 29-Jan-16 20:54:54

You need to insist on a gynae referral
They can check for any physical/ hormonal issues that may be causing your bleeding issues

pilates Fri 29-Jan-16 21:09:45

Yes, see a gynae and ask for the Doctor to refer you asap as there could be a long waiting list to get an appointment. Good luck. I had this because of large fibroids.

Lemongrass57 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:22:32

I had my hormone levels checked a couple of years ago by prior GP and was told they were fine.

I will see GP again to have a chat about whether I need a gynae referral.
Thanks.

PoshPenny Fri 29-Jan-16 21:53:23

Google nice guidelines heavy menstrual bleeding. Your GP is not helping you currently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now