Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

FUCK FUCK FUCK Lost a prescription - what will happen?

(9 Posts)
Error404usernamenotfound Thu 28-Jan-16 14:49:15

I cannot believe I have been so stupid. The prescription was in my bag, which I have been taking things out of and putting back into all day, and at some point my prescription has fallen out. I'm not so concerned with getting a new one (although that is a hassle), more the fact that my full name, date of birth, address, mobile number, NHS number and medication details are out there for anyone to pick up. I've reported it to the places I may have lost it, and to my surgery, but I just can't stop thinking about my personal details being used by a random person.

I'm such a fucking moron to have been so careless, and now there is nothing I can do to stop what might happen.

Sorry, just need a handhold, I'm feeling alternately ragey and teary. sad

Error404usernamenotfound Thu 28-Jan-16 15:33:04

no-one?

BramblePie Thu 28-Jan-16 15:35:50

I think it will be ok. I'm sure if someone was interested in picking up a dropped prescription it will be to see the contents not to steal your Identity. Someone may also hand it in to you considering all the details are there! Think positive. x

AgentProvocateur Thu 28-Jan-16 15:38:24

The chances of someone with criminal intent picking it up are minuscule. What do you think will happen? I'd be annoyed if I'd lost a prescription because of the hassle of getting a new one, but wouldn't give much thought to someone getting hold of my personal details.

Snozberry Thu 28-Jan-16 15:38:47

What are the chances of an opportunistic identity thief being the person who picks it up? It will most likely just blow about in the wind until someone hands it in somewhere or a litter picker bins it. Don't panic about something that hasn't happened flowers

AuditAngel Thu 28-Jan-16 15:46:27

Was it a prescription for something that is likely to be collected by someone else e.g. Strong painkiller? Might be worth reporting.

Floggingmolly Thu 28-Jan-16 15:47:56

It's no real comfort (unfortunately) but all that information on just about every one of us has already been breached by NHS laptops being left on trains, etc.
The last one that they actually admitted to contained data on 8 million NHS patients hmm. The chances of anyone using it in identity fraud is very very slim, though. Try not to worry.

Notmyname123 Thu 28-Jan-16 15:50:35

Honestly, identity thieves don't work by scrutinising random bits of litter that they pick up.

Error404usernamenotfound Thu 28-Jan-16 16:36:54

Thank you for your replies, everyone. I have reported it, although it's not for anything that anyone is likely to want to get hold of to misuse (it's antidepressants, hence my possible slight overreaction - I always leave it late to sort out my repeat blush).

I'm hoping whoever finds it will either just bin it, or maybe hand it in to a pharmacy who will contact me.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now