Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Failed endoscopy

(15 Posts)
Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 10:50:18

I've had IBS symptoms for over a year now. I've had blood tests which have ruled out cancer and other major problems, so the next thing was an endoscopy of the bowel.

Booked in yesterday, took the laxatives exactly as directed and changed my diet as advised to the letter. However, my bowel wasnt clear when they put the camera up and I've got to go through it all again at later date.

I'm feeling very upset, there was a student nurse in the room at the time of the procedure and I could hear her gagging in the corner. There was a lot of mess and I felt absolutely humiliated. I heard the endoscopicist telling the student not to worry and it's very rare for that to happen.

The staff were fine with me but I was asked if I abuse laxatives as this may have been why the bowel medication didn't work on me. I've never abused laxatives. I got the distinct feeling they thought it was my fault.

The paperwork they gave me when I left said I may experience some bloating and wind on the day but I'm still suffering from bad diarrhoea and can't leave the house, I'm incredibly busy at work and just can't take time off, it's worrying how long im going to be like this. I phoned the ward this morning on the number they gave me to phone if I had any questions, only to receive a very curt response to my question on whether the diarrhoea is normal. I was told they were busy and to see my gp if I'm not better in 2-3 days.

I'm very tearful and just wanted someone to chat things through with me, I feel upset that they might think I've somehow brought this on myself.

I haven't slept properly for 2 night because I'm frightened I'm not going to get to the loo in time. Anybody else had any experience of this?

AnthonyPandy Wed 27-Jan-16 11:22:42

That sounds like a really horrible time you had/are having, I'm sorry. (My first thought was 'that sounds shit' but then realised I had better rephrase it!)

You can request no students, if she was gagging then that's unacceptable. It must have been quite loud for you to hear, she should have left the room if she could not cope.

Please complain, you called the ward as you were told to do if you had queries, it is not your problem if they are busy and you should not be made to feel a nuisance.

And as for work - please put your health first. Think about it this way - if you are healthy, on the correct medication, all investigations sorted etc then you will ultimately be more productive.

Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:25:38

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to try and do a few hours work today.

I'll make sure there are no students next time (I think I should have been asked).

I'm sure they're very busy and I already feel like I've been a nuisance with the procedure. Just wanted to talk to someone about it.

AnthonyPandy Wed 27-Jan-16 13:32:38

Please do not feel that you have been a nuisance. That's their job. Would you feel a nuisance taking your car for an MOT? Or getting on a bus? Their job is to do MOT's/drive buses/do endoscopies. They might be busy but that doesn't mean they can make you feel bad or unable to ask for advice or help.

iPaid Wed 27-Jan-16 14:07:39

Can you call your GPs surgery and request a telephone appointment to discuss the diarrhoea. They should be able to put your mind at rest or prescribe something.

Please try not to feel humiliated; you've had shoddy treatment from people who should have acted in a more professional and kindly manner. Hopefully things will go better next time.

gingeroots Wed 27-Jan-16 14:26:08

How awful for you and I think I would be feeling exactly the same .

Sometimes indivdual staff can be very insensitive . I agree about student gagging in the room - someone should have told her to leave .She clearly didn't know that leaving would be correct thing to do .

As for today - if time to get out to a supermarket get some immodium or ,my preference ,own brand supermarket tabs for upset stomachs /pepto bismol or collis brown tablets which are less fierce .Or those salty pretzels are good for diarroeah .

Oh and get some rehydration salts ( or mix up your own ) rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm#recipe or at least drink loads as the diarroeah will be malking you feel bad .

Horrid experience .

flowers brew flowers

Snowfire Wed 27-Jan-16 17:44:19

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. Which laxatives did you have? Have you been suffering with constipation? It may be that if your bowel transit is slow, the effect may have been delayed and the laxatives were still working after you went home.
Are you eating ok now? If you can, try and eat high fibre foods as that will help bulk up your stools and get your system back to normal.
When you're feeling better, give the hospital a ring and ask for the Pals team. They deal with complaints and should be able to help you get some answers about how you were dealt with, don't feel bad about doing this, if nobody complains when things aren't right, it won't improve.
Take it easy on yourself flowers

Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 20:32:27

Thank you all so much for replying to me! You have managed to make me feel so much better. smile

I have been drinking lots and have taken some boots own Imodium and the diarrhoea is much better, although I've got a lot of stomach ache.

My dp has private health insurance and I'm now covered so I think I'm going to go privately and hope I get a bit more compassion next time.

To be honest, I just feel I didn't receive anywhere near enough communication and only spoke to someone ten minutes before the procedure.

I'd just been sent letters and laxatives in the post and the letter stated that I could receive sedation or gas and air, I signed to say I understood but on the day I was told no sedation was available.

That was fine because I had already decided to try with gas and air first, but again, it just felt that I was not treated very well to be told that information ten mins beforehand.

I do understand that they're busy and I'm just an nhs number to them but surely something is wrong when I get more warmth and practical help from a public forum than from the nursing team? sad

Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 20:43:49

Snow fire - I was given five Senna tablets to take the evening before (Monday evening) and some citramag to take at 7:30am in Tuesday morning after having a light breakfast.

Didn't seem to make any sense to me why I was eating a breakfast between the Senna and citramag but I did as I was told and the nurse confirmed it was done correctly before I went in.

swooosh Wed 27-Jan-16 20:47:48

Hi Unpleasant, I work in endoscopy and I'm shocked to hear about your poor experience.

Were you booked for a colonoscopy or just a flexible sigmoidoscopy? With a colonoscopy you should be given full preparation such as movicol or picolax. Flexi sig's tend to have an enema given prior to procedure, this clears out the lower bowel.

Have they mentioned a follow up? It might be worth speaking to your private insurers although whether this would be covered as you are currently receiving treatment is debatable.

Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:05:16

Swoosh,

It was a flexi sig.

Thanks for the heads up about the insurance, I will look into it.

gobbin Wed 27-Jan-16 21:14:24

ASDA sell packs of their own incontinence mats very cheaply - brilliant if you feel like you may not make the toilet overnight, just lie on one of these and should the worst happen your bed will be saved (and you'll get some sleep!)

Unpleasantexperience1 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:17:51

Thanks gobbin, smile

Pickofthepops Wed 27-Jan-16 23:05:03

Just another post to say what a poor treatment you received. Am sure that was awful awful bad luck. Don't feel you were wrong at all. Their procedures and protocols are lacking. Good luck with the private visit and hope you get some good news.

Unpleasantexperience1 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:52:50

Just an update to say that I had a private CT colonoscopy scan today which whilst unpleasant but was a much more positive experience than the last appointment.

The staff were so lovely and explained everything fully.

I feel so happy that everything went well and that I feel informed about what to expect after the treatment too.

Thank you all for your support last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now