Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recurrent UTI

(14 Posts)
Joey8 Wed 27-Jan-16 10:40:52

Has anyone got experience with recurrent UTI's? Be interesting to know your experiences with them!

I've had about 5 in the past 4/5 months - so pretty much one a month!

For two of those times I went to the Drs and took antibiotics ( im currently taking now) This time they have given me Trimethoprim but gosh is it making me feel sick and hungover! Horrible! As well as having to pee A LOT.

I was off sick from work yesterday but came in today but feeling ill. (I don't know about anyone else but I hate taking sick days and always feel guilty!)

I have Drs appointment in about 2 weeks time after seeing a nurse (its very hard to get to see the Dr these days.) And hopefully can tackle it then.

maybebabybee Wed 27-Jan-16 11:04:49

I have had recurrent UTIs my entire life, ever since I was a small child. Have had numerous tests, scans, etc etc etc. No lasting damage to my kidneys and no cause that they can find. Drives me completely mad.

Generally I make them go away by drinking an absolute shedload of water. Seriously - you need to be drinking continuously.

Joey8 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:23:22

I will definitely drink more! Does cranberry juice help you?

I find it's sex that is the trigger unfortunately but I try and pee before and after like they recommend but it doesn't help much.

maybebabybee Wed 27-Jan-16 12:26:04

There isn't really much scientific evidence to suggest that cranberry juice does anything unfortunately; the best thing you can do is drink water. Way more than you think you need. I constantly have a bottle of water with me.

Generally speaking I don't take antibiotics unless the infection is really dreadful or I can't make it go away by drinking water.

Joey8 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:46:30

I think I will have to adopt the same approach because I can't keep taking antibiotics every time.

Thanks for the advice :-)

dementedma Sat 30-Jan-16 22:29:04

I have appt with urologist on Monday to see what is causing mine. Have been on anti-biotics more or less continously for months but samples keep coming back live. Am sick to death of it!

lolly07 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:53:54

Im so sorry you are going through this. Ive been there and it is truly horrible.

Could you be sensitive to the trimethroprim? I know I am. At least my doctor believes I am because I suffered dreadful stomach cramps, nausea and even some itchiness while I was on it. The infection was still present. When my medicine was changed, I felt better.

Im not a doctor, but it might be worthwhile enquiring with yours about a medicine change.

In the mean time, keep drinking water and I hope you feel better soon.

PandoNoPants Sun 31-Jan-16 16:54:09

Had them since I was a baby, no known cause! I try to drink a minimum of 2L water a day. Definitely helps.

I used to take antibiotics after dtd to stop me getting one (as directed by my GP). That helps too. I've been under urogynae, had all the tests and other than scarring on my kidneys, its something that just happens to me. I really feel for you because they are unpleasant.

Can't say I've noticed a difference taking cranberry juice/supplements.

Water all the way!!

lavendersun Sun 31-Jan-16 16:59:45

I am allergic to Trimethoprim. I think it is the first line of defence for most UTIs, cheap and works.

I had chronic pyelonephritis for about ten years as a teenager/young adult after lots of childhood UTIs and took a low dose of antibiotic for 2 years continuously at one point.

Water is it really, as much as you can drink. I wouldn't be reluctant to take antibiotics either, a simple UTI can progress to something much worse reasonably quickly.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 31-Jan-16 17:04:02

I find Nitrofurantoin works well for mine.

lavendersun Sun 31-Jan-16 17:23:27

Nitrofurantoin seems to be my go to King. I used to carry a course whenever I travelled just in case of symptoms.

I one I took for years was Cephradin.

MrsMarigold Sun 31-Jan-16 17:28:24

I used to get them all the time - I found that antibiotics Trimethoprim and this stuff I bought online called Waterfall D Mannose (google it) finally helped me stop getting them. Also loads of water.

TeaT1me Sun 31-Jan-16 17:28:53

I have nitrofurantonin too. In theory one every night but I just take it when we dtd (sometimes every night sometimes not). I was getting them every 3-4 weeks and I'd have had a lot of time off work if I'd been working. I felt constantly wrecked and run down.

I wasn't sure about daily antibiotics bit it's better than 4 a day regularly.

I've been referred to (unhelpful) consultant and had a cytoscopy which showed nothing to be worried about. Also women's physio which apparently showed an OK pelvic floor even though I leak (apparently that's OK!?)

dementedma Sun 31-Jan-16 18:26:50

D Mannose does help. You can order it online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now