Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Strange symptoms, pins and needles & burning...

(14 Posts)
sooperdooper Mon 25-Jan-16 21:01:03

I've been having some strange symptoms lately, I'm never really ill and not generally worried about my health but I'm wondering whether other people would go to the doctors with these symptoms or if I'm overthinking!

I've had a strange burning sensation in my leg, almost like I'm standing next to a radiator, then lots of pins and needles in my arms, sometimes my arms feel really heavy and weak as if I've done loads of exercise (I havent, I haven't had the energy recently!) and generally quiet stiff and achey in my back and shoulders

Am I just getting old?? Or is this something worth bothering the GP for?

Diggum Mon 25-Jan-16 21:05:37

I think this warrants a GP visit. If only for a thorough neurological exam and maybe some blood tests to check for inflammation.

There are a few muscle and nerve conditions that can give symptoms like this and it would be worth getting checked to rule them out.

Equally it could be flu or some other viral illness but I don't think they'd feel you were wasting their time by getting it assessed.

sooperdooper Tue 26-Jan-16 15:05:03

Thanks diggun, I just didn't want to feel like I was wasting their time, I'll pop in and see the gp when I can

PaperPlaneDown Tue 26-Jan-16 19:45:59

Whereabouts is the burning sensation on your leg? I had a feeling like that - it felt like bad sunburn, and have also had achey arms. I'm pretty sure now that it was due to spending too much time lounging on the bed using the iPad!

sooperdooper Tue 26-Jan-16 22:29:55

In my left leg, at the back above my knee - it's really weird, like someone's holding an iron near my leg and moving it upwards confused

SoporificHobnob Tue 26-Jan-16 22:39:16

I'd see the GP, there are any number of things it could be.

HairyLittleCarrot Tue 26-Jan-16 22:44:24

Get your B12 level checked.

Any tinnitis? Fatigue, slight memory changes / brain fog?

sadie9 Tue 26-Jan-16 23:45:04

Have you been working on a keyboard a lot recently? Or have you driven some very long journeys in the past few days/weeks?

SoporificHobnob Wed 27-Jan-16 06:55:11

That's interesting about the B12; I get the symptoms you describe sometimes but if I have marmite on toast they diminish - somebody else suggested B12 and it seemed to work.

HairyLittleCarrot Wed 27-Jan-16 10:11:10

Are you vegan/vegetarian? Any stomach problems?

sooperdooper Wed 27-Jan-16 13:22:01

I'm not vegan or veggie, I have a dairy intolerance but I've pretty much got that under control now just limiting my dairy intake

I can ask about b12 - I'm addicted to marmite though, have it at least once a week!

I don't do a lot of long drives, I do work at a desk but no more lately than I ever have - I have felt quite tired lately but I always do in the winter, I'm never jumping out of bed on a dark morning!

lavendersun Wed 27-Jan-16 13:32:00

I have got pernicious anaemia and I have some of the same symptoms when I am having a bad spell.

You need to prioritise yourself a bit sooper, make the appointment, look after yourself.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Wed 27-Jan-16 13:37:19

Do you get very cold extremities? Look into Raynauds, which I have.
It's usually fingers and toes but maybe could be other skin parts? I get burning feelings then pins and needles.
Hope you clear it up soon.

HairyLittleCarrot Wed 27-Jan-16 15:06:48

Also vitamin D deficiency can cause fatigue etc and is easily corrected. But I would definitely look into the B12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now