Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is anyoen familiar with the requirements for getting free prescriptions on the NHS in England?

(16 Posts)
lioncubofcintra Sun 24-Jan-16 13:18:07

My mum currently pays over £40 a month on prescription charges. I believe she should not have to pay as she claims DLA and has medical conditions that affect her daily functioning. She does not go out on her own. I have talked to her and she thinks she still has to pay the charges. She is saying that only people on income-based ESA can get free prescriptions. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Blueberry234 Sun 24-Jan-16 13:19:44

Not sure about free prescriptions but a pre payment certificate is £10.40 a month and very easy to setup online

PausingFlatly Sun 24-Jan-16 13:21:04

She's correct that contribution-based ESA is deemed too much for free prescriptions.

But if she has a low-income she might be eligible for means-tested free prescriptions even without being on means-tested ESA.

I don't have the energy right now, but google should bring up the govt website.

reallybadidea Sun 24-Jan-16 13:27:14

Here is the list of medical exemptions

If she doesn't fit into any of these categories she will need to check whether her income is low enough or get a pre-payment certificate, which as a pp said, will be much cheaper than buying them individually.

The whole thing stinks IMO - my sister has multiple sclerosis and still has to pay for her prescriptions shockangry

lucyjordon Sun 24-Jan-16 13:27:51

DLA in itself doesn't give you free prescriptions. Certain conditions like cancer do. Tax credits, job seekers, or a lie in one (HC2) certificate also Di. Her best option is a pre payment certificate. £30 for 3 months, approx £100 for a year. A quick Google will give you all this info.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Jan-16 13:28:30

Hi yes if she can't go out alone she should get free prescriptions.

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Sun 24-Jan-16 13:41:23

Anyone can get a prepayment certificate so even if she doesn't meet the list of entitled conditions ( which is the case for anyone who has cystic fibrosis!) she can still considerably reduce her costs with the prepayment certificate.

Mysillydog Sun 24-Jan-16 17:31:37

Only a few medical conditions entitle you for free prescriptions. If your mother is on a low income she can apply for the NHS Low Income Scheme by filling in an HC1 form. This is a means tested benefit, and the form will be very complicated and intrusive. If her income is not low enough, then she should get a pre-payment certificate.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Jan-16 20:20:41

The op's mum meets the second to last condition. Provided it's a physical condition it makes no difference what the condition is.

tribpot Sun 24-Jan-16 20:27:13

It's very sad her pharmacy haven't at least told her about the pre-payment certificate. No-one should be paying more than a tenner a month for their prescriptions.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Jan-16 21:30:21

She doesn't need a pre payment certificate.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 25-Jan-16 00:56:27

I've got a medical exemption certificate because I have a physical disability which means I can't go out without the help of another person. You have to ask your GP for the form, they have to agree you qualify and the sign it and send it off IIRC. It lasts for 5 years.

Mine's up for renewal this year, it's another thing I'm waiting for the Tories it cut!

Oldsu Mon 25-Jan-16 01:02:29

If she has a continuing disability that means she cannot go out without the help of another person (not just will not) she needs to go to her GP and get a FP92A form which the GP signs (and I think sends off) to apply for a medical exemption certificate (which used to be for 5 years).

Whilst she is waiting she should get a FP57 receipt so she can claim the costs back, but she can only get it at the time she pays the charge the form will tell her how to claim a refund.

Oldsu Mon 25-Jan-16 01:03:11

sorry fairy crossed posts

AlpacaLypse Mon 25-Jan-16 01:11:18

have a google around on websites and ring some of the helpdesks if still confused. Tax and DVLA are now really really good, and NHS Business Services (which will definitely be relevant) were wonderful when I needed to talk one to one with them last week.

TheExMotherInLaw Mon 25-Jan-16 02:12:57

Plus, if she's over 60 she is entitled to free prescriptions anyway. Until I hit 60 I paid about £100 a year for a prepayment certificate - a heck of a bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now