Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ponstan - advice needed

(4 Posts)
IronWoman Thu 21-Jan-16 15:39:39

My friend has been taking Ponstan to help with her severely painful periods for many years but they have stopped manufacturing it recently.

Does anyone have experience of what else she could use instead please?

I suggested Buscopan as these help with the cramping...?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 21-Jan-16 15:52:58

Was she previously diagnosed with endometriosis?. I ask only as this is often prescribed for endo patients.

I would suggest to her that she gets a referral to a gynaecologist for further evaluation. Painkillers themselves will not help in the long run.

skyeskyeskye Thu 21-Jan-16 15:55:03

I used to have this for severe period pain but became allergic to it.

I'm now prescribed Naproxen and Co-Dydramol.

Dashie Thu 21-Jan-16 15:59:47

It may be just the brand Ponstan that isn't available. The generic name is mefenamic acid, which as far as I know is still available.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: