Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hormone dependent neoplasia?

(8 Posts)
whatevva Thu 21-Jan-16 12:38:26

Does anyone have a clue what this is?

It flags up on the computer when the nurse prescribes hrt at my new surgery. It was not the right time to ask then, so I went home and asked Dr Google who has not been much use, I'm afraid.

My smears have all come back negative, but I have an erosion. I though maybe it was a name for that?

whatevva Thu 21-Jan-16 14:51:33

Further googling comes up with that phrase in connection with breast cancer, endometrial cancer and uterine fibroids.

Erosion can be ectropion or cervical ectopy. Not neoplasia hmm.

I am going to have to ask about it, by the looks of things.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Thu 21-Jan-16 16:44:41

Do you mean it is on your medical record? Could be a clinical coding/note summarising error

Or is it a warning mesage warning of contraindications to the prescribing of Hrt?

Maybe best to query it

Musicaltheatremum Thu 21-Jan-16 17:07:29

It could be a warning. We use the "vision" system for our records and there are so many warnings, some of them totally irrelevant. I would just ask next time.

whatevva Thu 21-Jan-16 17:11:00

It came up on the bottom of the screen when she put in the medication. It also came up with something that I do have, so I assumed it meant the erosion, but the word 'neoplasia' was not one I had heard used. It didn't seem to worry her.

I think I am going to have to query it, in case someone has made an error somewhere, or it might come back and bite me on the bum unexpectedly.

MadauntofA Thu 21-Jan-16 22:05:37

It is a warning for the GP to consider the risk of giving you HRT if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer as this can increase the risk I think. It is probably a warning for all HRT prescriptions, not related to your health/ records.

MadauntofA Thu 21-Jan-16 22:07:19

The Neoplasia is just another word for cancer but I suppose "cancer" flashing up on a screen may cause some unnecessary panic so it is kind of in code for the GP and not the patient to read

LuluJakey1 Thu 21-Jan-16 22:10:06

It is a warning to flag up to a GP/nurse that if you have a cancer that is hormone dependant- as some breast/gynae cancers are, you should not be prescribed HRT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now