Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone suddenly developed IBS?

(18 Posts)
Curlybrunette Mon 18-Jan-16 10:14:43

Morning,
Since Christmas I've found myself constipated (usually go nearly every day, now only a couple of times a week at best) and have also had some strange feelings really low down in my tum - a bit like period pains, but I have the coil and don't get periods.

I've started to really panic that it's something nasty (didn't help I read an article about a lady with ovarian cancer) and feel constantly nauseous and anxious. I've pretty much written myself off.

I'd tried to avoid googling but this morning did google 'nervous tummy' and all the results (thankfully) seemed to suggest irritable bowel syndrome rather than anything else. I would never have said I had any IBS symptoms before, but the list of symptoms do seem to match. One article did say that IBS usually develops in your 20-30's, I'm 33 now.

So, I went to the GPs last week and expected her to give me laxatives and send me on my way but instead she's doing bloods for thyroid function and sending me for a uterine ultrasound - I don't think this has helped my worrying, even though getting it checked out is the best thing.

I am normally in good health and have never suffered with anxiety type feelings but bloody hell I'm a mess, I feel sick and worried constantly and think I could probably burst in to tears at any moment.

So now I've rambled on for a bit, back to my original question, have any of you had seemingly normal bowels which then decided to play up out of the blue?

Thanks,

Simmi1 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:28:10

Yes! I'm older than you (40) and my ibs suddenly developed after birth of my second child 4 months ago. I have been suffering from excess gas, constipation and diarrhea. I just always have an uncomfortable feeling like I have a permanently upset tum. It's so miserable - I've cried on numerous occasions now. All tests so far have come back clear so can't understand what's suddenly brought on this ibs and why it's not getting better. 😪

Pipistrella Tue 19-Jan-16 09:35:15

Sorry if this isn't much help to you, OP, but Simmi's symptoms jumped out at me - have you had tests for c-difficile?

It's notorious for giving a false negative, often because the sample is not refrigerated before going to the lab.

I had it years ago and kept it double/triple wrapped in the fridge until I could take it to the nearest path lab myself, where of course they had a fridge as well.

The bacteria die at room temperature and not many surgeries seem to be aware of this.

IIWY I'd ask for another test and make sure you do the whole refrigeration thing.

Btw it's quite a common bacteria in the nappies of newborn babies for some reason, and also of course prevalent in hospitals, and after antibiotics of course, so it is not outside the realms of possibility that a new mother might end up with it.

It's treatable and though it can recur, it normally goes away in the end.

Simmi1 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:39:48

Thanks pipistrella, I have only done a stool test today - waiting for the results. I will ask about this at my next appointment.

Pipistrella Tue 19-Jan-16 09:40:41

Good luck, don't despair if it is that, it's not pleasant but you will get better.

Simmi1 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:57:59

I have had a colonoscopy which should have shown c-diff if I did have it - so the mystery continues ☹

SparklyTinselTits Tue 19-Jan-16 10:00:01

All of a sudden after my daughter was born I started having "poo trouble"...according to my doctor its not uncommon for IBS and the like to suddenly appear after childbirth! Luckily, I've figured out the specific foods (dairy mainly) that set me off, and just avoid it. But even then, I still have the odd cramping attack sad

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 19-Jan-16 10:08:52

OP in all probability it is just IBS. There are no hard and fast rules for how old you have to be to get it, and at 33 you wouldn't be that unusual.

That said, it is important to have tests to rule out anything else that could cause the symptoms. It doesn't necessarily mean that the GP thinks you have something else, but IBS can't be diagnosed until everything else has been ruled out.

Pipistrella Tue 19-Jan-16 10:27:36

Ok, it was just a thought. I'm not sure if a colonoscopy can indeed diagnose it but it would have seen any complications caused by it, if that makes sense. Which you may or may not get.

As long as there has been no bleeding with your stools then that is a good sign.

Simmi1 Tue 19-Jan-16 10:36:48

Thanks Pipistrella, just so frustrating and miserable. Good luck OP, I was sent on my way (without anything) several times before finally being taken seriously. Agree with PPs that it is very unlikely to be ovarian cancer. Hopefully it will just disappear on its own - that's what I'm hoping for too!

It sounds like IBS OP but a diagnosis is made after everything else is ruled out, which is why they'll get all the other tests done first smile

Curlybrunette Wed 20-Jan-16 21:28:00

Thanks a lot, I keep switching between "of course everything is fine" and "OMG I just want to sit and hug my kids while I still can".

I had my bloods done today and they are testing for CA125 as well as thyroid so I guess I'd know soon enough if there was something nasty occuring ovary-wise.

MeadowHay Fri 22-Jan-16 21:33:12

I have IBS, the only thing I was tested for before given that diagnosis was coeliacs! And like pp I had to visit the GP about three times before they did anything at all other than tell me to keep a food diary. Eventually I got put on mebeverine which did nothing at all, then switched to hyoscine which I found very effective and which I still take as and when I need it. My IBS is much better managed now than it was when I first got it out of the blue 5 years ago.

Gunting Fri 22-Jan-16 21:56:56

Yes I suddenly developed ibs after the birth of my son. Anxiety can also trigger ibs as your mental health is strongly linked to your gut so you might be in a bit of a vicious cycle with the worrying.

StrictlyMumDancing Fri 22-Jan-16 22:05:38

I was going to say other than IBS that thyroid issues are another big constipating factor - and 30s are around the age they tend to start kicking in. Thyroid is also a big anxiety contributor. Good your Dr is testing for that.

I'm having big period problems, ovarian cysts and suffer with hashimotos disease (thyroid issue!) and I'm often feeling nauseous and can bung up at the drop of a hat. I've been told its likely I'm a bit battered inside, the Dr described it a bit like I'd had my lower abdomen kicked in but just internally!

Try not to worry though, or google too much. flowers

Simmi1 Fri 22-Jan-16 22:30:20

I got a call from doctor about my stool test and there is some bad bacteria which usually goes away on its own but as it hasn't she's proposing antibiotics. Does anyone know whether it is normal for a bacterial infection to cause constipation, gas and diarrhea? I'm just scared that antibiotics will just make matters worse and my horrid symptoms will continue.

Curlybrunette Fri 22-Jan-16 23:11:17

Thanks guys. I just want to know, driving me crazy!

molacio Sat 23-Jan-16 19:28:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now