Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Armpit lump didn't show up on ultrasound. What next?

(6 Posts)
sh77 Fri 15-Jan-16 08:48:24

I have a lump in my left armpit. Breast surgeon could feel it but nothing showed up on ultrasound except normal muscle. I am having shooting pains in left breast too. Unexpectedly, 1cm lump found on right breast via US and biopsy taken. Most likely, it is a fibroadenoma.
Any tips on who to see about the armpit lump? I have been sweating at night for a few weeks now.

sh77 Fri 15-Jan-16 08:50:02

Btw, surgeon said I'm too young for a mammogram. I'm 38.

winnybella Fri 15-Jan-16 09:01:52

Your underarm lymph nodes must have showed on the ultrasound so perhaps the lump is one of them? And if it looked like a normal node then it wouldn't get mentioned on the report.

StayGold Fri 15-Jan-16 12:01:44

Hi sh77 not sure who else you could go to, the breast surgeon/ consultants usually refer for further testing if they're concerned. So maybe they're not worried about it as it doesn't look like anything suspicious?

I'm being treated for BC at the mo, am 42, have yearly mammograms and MRI's (since mid 20's) as an example, and am in no way trying to worry just saying as an example, I had 2 areas of BC in my left breast, one was picked up on the mammogram, showing as calcification, the other, more aggressive area only showed up in the MRI (they found it hard to spot on the ultrasound). I ended up having an MRI guided biopsy which confirmed the cancer.

Again, this is just to show that things don't always show up on mammograms when you're younger and it might be worth you pushing for an MRI scan?

Could be just that your lymph node is swollen, maybe just keep mentioning it to the surgeon, MRI's are expensive and not always offered but in my case was a godsend..

Good luck with your results from your biopsy flowers

WiIdfire Fri 15-Jan-16 12:05:27

I had the same - it was just an inflamed lymph node (nothing seen on USS) and it went away. Was there about 2-3 months total. Keep an eye on things and go back if it gets bigger, or you get more.

Rodent01 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:14:02

I am nearly 18 months post diagnosis for breast cancer and have had various lumps that have been either ultrasounded or just poked and left alone. Some nodes are important, some are not and they will know which nodes do what. If the surgeon was in the least bit worried you would have had an u/s, although I find it odd you were told you were "too young" for a mammogram...... Too young for routine mammo, not too young for a 1 off?!?

Night sweats could be a sign of something else? I have them very badly on my post cancer hormone medication that has me in a medically induced menopause....

Just keep an eye and as pp have said, go back if still there in 2-3 months - I have 1 in my neck that has been checked by my oncologist and has been there for about 4/5 months and she is happy its nothing as its one that is linked to other infections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now