Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chloramphenicol eye ointment on sutures?

(7 Posts)
Lindor Wed 13-Jan-16 21:54:58

Today DS had to have stitches to repair earlobe. As we were leaving the nurse rushed after us with a tube of chloramphenicol ointment saying we should use it on the stitches.

I've never heard of this and am a bit unsure as to whether to follow this advice.

Any ideas or experience of this? To me it doesn't seem a good idea to touch stitches, or put gunky stuff on them.

momb Wed 13-Jan-16 22:06:17

it's an antibiotic cream, rather than a simple antiseptic. If it has been prescribed by the nurse I'd use it.

thesmallestpotato Wed 13-Jan-16 22:13:02

Yes it's just because it's a very gentle antibiotic

DS had to use some for 10 days on a skin graft he had to have when he was 18 months old on his privates

If the nurses have told you you need to use it, you really need to

If you're unsure as to how to apply it you need to call the ward you were on and they'll advise, they'd probably even be happy for you to go back in and they'll show you how to apply it

Please don't ignore their advice, they don't prescribe things like this unnecessarily

Lindor Wed 13-Jan-16 22:20:27

Thank you for your replies. We were about to get in the lift when the nurse handed it to us with minimal instructions and I was too surprised to think to ask about any questions before he turned and hurried back to the ward

So would you just squeeze some on without spreading/rubbing it in?

thesmallestpotato Wed 13-Jan-16 22:21:43

Just to add, from what I recall (it was a couple of years ago now) you need to squeeze a bit out the tube with clean hands and I remember warming it up in the palm of my hand for a few minutes as it's very thick when it comes out, warming it will make it more like the texture of vaseline and easier to apply

I totally agree the thought of touching stitches seems wrong, maybe they mean sort of dabbing it gently between the stitches on the skin? It was the most stressful time of my life trying to dab it on DS's skin graft, I was terrified I was going to pull it off or knock it out of place, it all turned out OK and the graft took well and didn't get infected - no doubt thanks to the ointment

Hope your DS is OK

adognamedboo Wed 13-Jan-16 22:33:12

I normally squeeze it directly onto the stitches and dab it with a bit of clean gauze or tissue, just nothing fluffy (like cotton wool)
As well as reducing infection, it keeps the suture line moist, which makes the stitches easier to remove and reduces scarring (in my opinion)

Lindor Wed 13-Jan-16 22:40:12

thank you for your experiences. I think I will get some sterile gauze tomorrow to put the ointment on with. Using even well washed hands would worry me. DS is sleeping now. Hopefully he won't roll onto the poorly ear in the night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now