Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatica?

(3 Posts)
LIZS Wed 13-Jan-16 20:19:25

Does this sound like sciatica? Pain in lower back on right at top of pelvis, seat of pain within hip, aches and spasms in thigh and knee. Had it just before Christmas then again since yesterday though more restrictive today. Any treatment other than ibuprofen and heat, perhaps homeopathic.

MatildaTheCat Wed 13-Jan-16 20:25:00

It could be nerve pain from what you say. There are lots of nerves running through the sacro iliac joint area which is at the top of your pelvis. The deep hip/buttock pain sounds familiar. Do you have any altered sensation lower down? Pins and needles or numbness?

There are meds that are very effective for nerve pain and obviously there are lots of stronger pain killers such as cocodamol ( though not brilliant at nerve pain). Even adding paracetamol might help and is fine.

I can't comment on homeopathy but if you are looking for non med routes maybe try an osteopath. Preferably one who has been highly recommended to you.

LIZS Sun 17-Jan-16 08:45:30

Thanks. No pain below knee and feeling normal apart from occasional twitching above knee. Heat seems to be the best remedy and feel a bit less stiff today. Would it be osteopath I should see, or a chiropractor or physio - not sure of the difference. Do I need to see gp first?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now