Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constipated

(13 Posts)
Curlybrunette Tue 12-Jan-16 21:28:06

Hey everyone,

Normally I am a at least once a day goer, no problem, especially after alcohol but since Christmas (where there was plenty of alcohol) my system is messed up and I'm constipated.

I put it down to a change in routine, more 'bad' food than normal etc. but it hasn't got better. Last week I had a few days taking Andrews, then went on to Lactulose for 4 days, and today out of desperation had a lovely conversation with the Waitrose lady about whether tinned or dried prunes would be better - she decided tinned were generally more palatable but wasn't sure which type would be more effective in helping me poop. I;ve had 8 prunes so far and think I'll do a few more before bedtime. Having never had prunes before I'm hoping it doesn't have middle of the night explosive results.

Is there anything else you can recommend?

I get this maybe once a year and it's annoying as hell for a while and then seems to sort itself out but this time I also have back ache (dodgy sofa is causing bad posture I think, along with an exercise injury) but it has helped me to convince myself it's obviously something nasty and sinister. If I could just have a big poo I'd feel so much better!

dementedpixie Tue 12-Jan-16 21:30:07

Curry and spicy chicken fajitas always make me poop!

SunnySomer Tue 12-Jan-16 21:33:09

Lots of water, soaked flaxseeds, and any kind of exercise you can do (a really brisk walk? A swim? Something to massage your gut).

TheoriginalLEM Tue 12-Jan-16 21:40:05

strong coffee and a visit to the library

marmaladegranny Tue 12-Jan-16 21:43:06

I've always found the ready to eat type of prunes are best! Tinned remind me of school lunches and dried are just too chewy.
Ready to eat ones work really well - but don't eat too many at once!

Shakey15000 Tue 12-Jan-16 21:47:15

I'm just putting this out there (since I knew nowt about it till it happened to me!) but constipation and backache can be a symptom of prolapse (alongside other symptoms).

I'm NOT saying this to panic but there's little awareness out there and thought it worth mentioning.

Serioussteve Tue 12-Jan-16 21:58:05

If you don't like prunes, dates do the job just as well.

Curlybrunette Tue 12-Jan-16 21:59:31

Thanks everyone, I have recently stopped running long distances (dodgy back and knees) and now am doing a bit of walking and a swim with the kids once a week which is really me stood in a pool playing rather than actually doing any swimming so I did wonder about my change to not very much exercise being a factor.

So I'll briskly walk to library eating a strong curry with a flask cup for when I get there wink

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try and get some flax seeds tomorrow, if the prunes haven't worked.

shakey150000 I read some awful story of a lady dying of ovarian cancer last week and she described constipation and back aches as a couple of the signs. I'll be honest I'm feeling somewhat wobbly since I read it. Am trying to tell myself not to be daft but am thinking of a gp visit if it doesn't sort itself out soon (I'm not a gp goer normally and hate to think I'll be wasting their time but guess it's better to be safe than sorry).

Curlybrunette Tue 12-Jan-16 22:02:13

Serioussteve I did have to ask the lady in the shop if dates and prunes were the same thing! It was because I asked a shop chap where the prunes where and he pointed to a rack, when I got there all the items said dates, so I thought maybe they were the same.

The nice lady sorted me out and explained they were completely different things!!!

I am quite enjoying the prunes canned in apple juice. They taste like sherry to me... wine

Teaandcakeat8 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:03:42

Punnet of grapes, glass of orange juice and a strong black coffee...

Dowser Wed 13-Jan-16 23:40:58

Bio Triphala , sometimes just called Triphala from Himalayan herbs is excellent.

Dried figs are excellent too.

SuckingEggs Wed 13-Jan-16 23:43:48

Diet Coke for me! Urgh. It's so effective.

And try senna laxative.

Warm water and orange juice, too.

Equiem89 Wed 13-Jan-16 23:53:01

A packet of polos in a short space of time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now