Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Surgery Pre-assessment Worry

(6 Posts)
TopHatBetty Tue 12-Jan-16 14:33:34

I am hoping people can advise me and share with me what exactly happens at a Surgery pre-assessment.

I am having surgery in a weeks time and have the pre-assessmnet appointment in a few days.

I am really concerned and panicking over the pre-assessment, for what will seem like a stupid reason to many.

I suddenly became very scared they will check my teeth. I have a severe dental phobia and am thinking of cancelling in case they want to assess my teeth.

I know they always ask if there are loose teeth crowns, I can answer but I cannot have someone look in there without sedation.

I am fine with everything else medical and I don't want to go into the reasons for my extreme phobia. I am sweating and breathing fast at the thought of them looking alone.

It is for a hernia repair in case this makes a difference to the pre assessment.

Can anyone who has had surgery, particularly hernia, please let me know if it is just questions are actual physical examinations?

ruddynorah Tue 12-Jan-16 14:36:22

It's just questions. It's just in case they knock your teeth when they put the breathing tube in.

Ilovefluffysheep Tue 12-Jan-16 15:38:45

I have had around 18 operations. All they do is ask you if you have any lose caps or crowns in there. They have never looked in my mouth before. Hope that helps.

If they do ask you, just explain the issue and I'm sure they will be extremely understanding.

FadedRed Tue 12-Jan-16 15:45:24

No, they will not do any sort of dental exam. They will ask about dentures, bridgework, lose teeth and crowned teeth. This is to ensure your safety during the anaesthetic, and to try to minimise any risk to your airway. Or accidentally knocking a tooth out!
If you do have any of the above then they will ask you which area of your mouth the losse tooth/crown/bridgework is, and you might find it easier to point to them, but nobody will be putting their hands anywhere near your mouth, so be reassured.
Best wishes for your coming op, Op.

FadedRed Tue 12-Jan-16 15:46:21

Lose + losse should read 'loose'

Sourpickledqueen Tue 12-Jan-16 15:53:36

They as you about crowns and loose teeth. I was also asked to demonstrate that I can push my lower jaw forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now