Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

codeine withdrawal....120mg per day

(5 Posts)
KeepPloddingOn Sun 10-Jan-16 22:36:07

DP has been prescribed co-codamol for a few years. He is 'allowed' up to 240mg codeine per day and over that time has taken a variable dose depending on pain levels.

At the beginning of Nov he was taking 120mg per day. He has since had surgery to treat the source of the pain and in Dec dropped down to 60mg per day then nothing as pain decreased. Since he dropped to nothing he has suffered terrible sweats, nausea, diarrhoea, insomnia. We are both thinking that this may be codeine withdrawal although 120mg doesn't feel like a high dose. It occurred to him that is Dr said that he might get withdrawal. He has therefore reintroduced 16mg per day.

The sweats have stopped. The nausea and diarrhoea are better than they were. This may be because he has reintroduced a small dose. It may be that phase of withdrawal passing?
The insomnia is still as bad as ever though and he already takes prescription sleeping tablets (50mg amytriptyline ).

Does anyone have any wise words? How long might the insomnia last? Anything either of us can do to relieve it. He is so tired he just can't drop off. This has been since Mid December now. He's lucky if he gets 4hrs sleep at night and perhaps an hour during the day.

TheFuzz Mon 11-Jan-16 02:38:37

Sounds like withdrawal symptoms. Slow and steady especially if on a continuous dose for a long time 120mg I assume was 4 X 30mg per day. It's quite high.

KeepPloddingOn Mon 11-Jan-16 07:39:36

Yeah. He took 2 tablets twice a day.

Should he sit it out or should he increase his current dose to say 60mg (or more) a day?

ilikebaking Mon 11-Jan-16 07:45:32

I would say, now that he has started down the road to reduce, he needs to ride it out.
Increasing the dose will help in the short term, not in the long term.
He may need to "teach" himself to sleep though, I did when I withdrew from my cocktail of pain medication after an accident. Had to go right back to basics, and even now it takes me an hour to fall asleep.

KeepPloddingOn Mon 11-Jan-16 08:05:01

He's always had problems sleeping.

Just don't like seeing him like this. A couple of days over Christmas he didn't even come to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now