Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back pain and travel

(5 Posts)
thunderbird69 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:18:07

After opinions and experiencesplease...

I have spinal stenosis and suffer with pain in lower and upper back aswell as in my left hip and leg and my neck.
I manage it quite well and am used to the pain ( which is mostly relatively low level) - I avoid things that I know aggravate it and I stretch and exercise regularly. I don't take painkillers unless it's bad enough to stop me sleeping.

I have been asked if I want to go on a trip for work (it is entirely optional). Flight would be 8-9hrs plus transfers of 1-2hrs and airport time. Whilst there it would be a lot of meetings and probably looking at PowerPoint presentations. All of these activities I would normally avoid! I generally don't like to stay sitting for too long and at work have an adjustable chair with my own wedge cushion (also have one in my car, an automatic) I don't work full days either.
Also, I don't know if anyone can sympathize with this - but I find the position for watching presentations soon becomes painful. Just the slight lifting of the head I think pinches the discs.

So I am really not sure whether to go. It could be an interesting experience or could be painful and bugger up my back for weeks/months.

I don't talk about my pain at work so colleagues aren't that aware if it. I think my concerns may sound melodramatic to a non-bad back sufferer.

MatildaTheCat Sun 10-Jan-16 09:44:57

Not at all melodramatic. This is a daunting schedule. There are ways of making this easier so I would find out what you can expect.

I wouldn't consider going unless you have business class travel. Sitting in economy for 8-9 hours plus transfers for someone who finds sitting painful would be asking for trouble. People say just move around but actually it's not that easy, you have to clamber in and out, the staff have their tell lies out etc etc. I suppose if Business is out of the question then end of aisle is a possibility for stretching out. Premium economy is better but not a flat seat.

If you make it that far can you get supplies of emergency meds to take whilst away in case you need them? Diazepam, strong opiates ?

Ensuring a lot of rest, seating yourself so you can move around and accepting you may not be able to do everything. Sounds like the kind of trip with long dinners ( more sitting), possible evening excursions and so on.

I'm afraid I'd be inclined to say no. Presumably you can access the information side of it some way later on? Usually a hard copy of PP presentations are provided.

On the other hand if you really want to go and have a 'sod it' kind of disposition then do all you can to ensure your comfort and enjoy the trip!

thunderbird69 Sun 10-Jan-16 11:20:14

Thanks for your input.

Wouldn't be business travel and yes, would include evening dinners. To make matters worse it's also a cold destination.

MatildaTheCat Sun 10-Jan-16 11:52:37

I wouldn't. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have travelled a lot with my back problems but wouldn't in this case.

thunderbird69 Mon 11-Jan-16 12:43:58

Bumping this back up - any other opinions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now