Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reusable sanitary towels

(7 Posts)
RoastieToastieReastie Wed 06-Jan-16 15:21:15

Does anyone have any experience of using these (not sure if this is the right board but wasn't sure where to put it)?

I've been using a mooncup for a year or so and love it but always use a pad too in case of leaks (they rarely happen, but I'd rather be prepared than have the effects of a leak) and also I use pads at night.

I've been reading about the chemicals that go into sanitary towels and I have a very sensitive, ahem, area there and I often feel pads somehow irritate it. I prefer the idea of a more cotton and natural pad (less so the idea of the washing, but I'm sure I would get used to it).

Looking online I'm not sure how easily they stay in place with their poppers, how absorbent and useful they are, and which ones to go for as there are so many and they aren't cheap. Any comments or advice or experience would be great fully received.

Butterfliesprettybutterflies Wed 06-Jan-16 15:25:14

I use them - they can get a bit twisted sometimes (but then so do the disposables) and I love how they feel - the disposables really irritated my skin. I use mine in the same way - with a mooncup as an extra layer of security.

Floowho Wed 06-Jan-16 15:44:42

Started using recently, I have found they can travel in your knickers, but absorbency is amazing! Try Earthwise girls for good info.

RoastieToastieReastie Wed 06-Jan-16 16:24:29

Thanks, if you have to change then when out where to you keep them/ put them in?

RoastieToastieReastie Wed 06-Jan-16 16:29:24

Have tried the earth wise site but still confused about which brand to get...

hugoagogo Wed 06-Jan-16 16:38:30

I just have a pencil case that has two compartments very cheap- from asda I think. So I put two clean ones in there before I go out then I can put the used one folded in on itself if I have to change it.

I made my own and never have any trouble with bunching or traveling.

Floowho Fri 08-Jan-16 16:52:13

You can fold them into themselves and use the popper to hold it together. I am a bit unenvironmentally unfriendly and use nappy sacks to put the used ones in, then put them in a small wash bag with a couple of spares in. I then soak them in a bucket of cold water before washing. I prefer csp with bamboo fleece towards my body, but it is all about preference. If you are on FB there is a page called the bloody waste which is very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now