Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mastectomy: LD flap vs nothing?

(3 Posts)
BooksAsGarden Tue 05-Jan-16 10:43:11

Hi. I was diagnosed with DCIS, 10 cm on mammogram last week (basically looks like a star sky with those calcifications). Need to have a mastectomy and don't know what then??
Don't feel I need a reconstruction but worried about big scar. Easier to live with on back or front?

StayGold Tue 05-Jan-16 11:15:07

Hi Book, have no experience of an ld flap, have had a mx and am planning to have other breast removed and a diep recon.. Just finishing chemo and am having radiotherapy soon so delayed recon. Had a skin saving expander implant ready for recon. Didn't consider an ld flap as didn't like the thought of weakness in arms (I play netball) a close friend had one though, about 5 years ago. I've seen it it looks amazing scars very faint looks very natural. Hopefully someone else will comment, but if not there's loads of posts on the breast cancer care forum and the Macmillan one too. SG X

BooksAsGarden Tue 05-Jan-16 20:23:06

Thanks StayGold, thanks for your Macmillan suggestion. They have already given some helpful ideas and advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now