Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ovarian cysts

(9 Posts)
StrictlyMumDancing Mon 04-Jan-16 12:15:21

I'm stuck in hospital at the moment after a two week game of appendicitis oh-yes-it-is oh-no-it-isn't between doctors.

Upshot is I have a 3cm ovarian cyst and the evidence of a ruptured one. I've asked them what I do if this pain doesn't go or gets worse be they just said they'd give me a prescription of some drugs I already take. I've asked again and I still didn't get an answer.

Has anyone had this before and how long did you go through it? Thank you

OrangeSquashTallGlass Mon 04-Jan-16 12:23:53

I went into hospital with a ruptured cyst so you have my sympathies. They thought it was my appendix, like you, so I got taken to theatre to have it removed. However when I woke up I was told it wasn't my appendix and that I actually had endometriosis (and a ruptured cyst). Bit of a bloody roller coaster tbh.

Anyway, RE cysts: They won't remove them unless they're over a certain size and 3cm isn't that big (sorry). Are you still in pain from your rupture though?

BackforGood Mon 04-Jan-16 12:30:13

I don't know about the ruptured cyst, but when I was being scanned I was told that they aren't at all bothered for any cysts under 5cm. Apparently mine was 4.9cm hmm

StrictlyMumDancing Mon 04-Jan-16 12:56:12

Thanks orange. Yeah I'm still in a fair bit of pain they've said should go away about 2 weeks after it started. It's been 2 weeks already though it worsened 3 days ago which was likely the rupture. I really just don't want to be caught in some game of ping pong with them and my gps again and they're just avoiding my questions.

Wow back because that 0.1mm clearly meant you were fine confused

PollyPerky Mon 04-Jan-16 13:28:54

That's right- the guidelines are under 5cm and leave well alone- the risks of doing anything are higher as most women's go away by themselves.

I had a 3,5 cm one for 2 years- scanned often (privately) and in the end it buggered off.

I was advised that if in extreme pain go to A&E.

BackforGood Mon 04-Jan-16 15:02:40

That's what I thought Strictly grin
Seemed like within possible 'margins for error' to me.
However, I was scanned and had various cameras and prodded and poked by several different professionals over several weeks and they all agreed they weren't worried about it so, I felt it was prob ok.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 04-Jan-16 15:14:16

Have you actually been seen by a gynaecologist StrictlyMumDancing?.

StrictlyMumDancing Mon 04-Jan-16 16:01:53

back I've found margins for error only seem to work to their advantage! When my ferritin was being monitored it was 20.5 and they said fine: cut off is 20. When it dipped to 19.8 they said its so close it doesn't matter. Drives me nuts!!!

orange yes, I've seen both surgical and gynae teams at the hospital so far. I get why they don't want to do anything but I wouldn't mind an answer to what happens if the pain and nausea doesn't go away!

StrictlyMumDancing Mon 04-Jan-16 16:03:03

Sorry atilla not orange. Have lost the plot big time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now