Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had the Novasure ablation that could share their experiences please?

(11 Posts)
Hyggeligt Sat 02-Jan-16 23:37:45

I was wondering if anyone has had the Novasure procedure? I have had it recommended to me to help with heavy periods and have tried to find out a little more about it--I shouldn't have looked! There are lots of reports bad/worsening cramps following having it done and also some substantial weight gain, that seems very difficult to shift, usually 20-25lbs ...it might sound a bit shallow but I really need to avoid any weight gain as it's something I have to be careful of and struggle with, to the point that it could put me off having the procedure done.
I could do without being 25 lbs heavier and with worse pain than I currently experience!
Many thanks for any feedback or insight you may have.

Tate15 Sun 03-Jan-16 00:11:01

Yes I have!

I went through several years of very heavy bleeding. I would have one day of each cycle where I had to stay at home and not be far from the toilet do that I could just sit on it and bled into the toilet and not saturate through the largest of sanitary towels in seconds.

I used to feel like I was some kind of wild animal.

Anyway, I had it done the same time I was in hospital to have a cyst removed and an ovary remove do. It turned out I didn't have either cyst or ovary removed but that's another story!

I was warned that periods could stay the same or worsen.

I am pleased to tell you that the next period afterwards was a tiny amount of spotting and then afterwards I never had a period again! Stopped completely! For me it was miraculous.

No weight gain at all. That was never mentioned to me at the time but to be honest I would have done anything to stop my heavy periods as they were so debilitating!

Every one is different but for me the ablation worked and that was over 6 years ago!

I think if you voice your concerns to your consultant about weight gain they will tell you the chances of it happening. I grilled my consultant about side affects and weight gain was not mentioned.

Tate15 Sun 03-Jan-16 00:12:41

Age may be a factor. I was approximately 44 at the time.

NoelHeadbands Sun 03-Jan-16 00:17:39

I had the procedure done two years ago this month, and it's been life changing.

No cramps, no weight gain, just a complete absence of periods. I was 39

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 03-Jan-16 00:22:43

I had it done at 47 for the most horrendously strong periods. I had no problems but am getting very light periods again now, they stated about 6 months later, and are barely worse than spotting. Am having weight issues due to thyroid problems but no change after the procedure. I'm happy with the result. I also had fibroids removed and so don't have any pain now. I also googled but I honestly regret not having it done sooner.

Mysillydog Sun 03-Jan-16 08:43:24

I had a thermal balloon ablation done in September at the of 42 for heavy bleeding and anaemia.

I still get regular periods but they are very manageable. I rarely get clots or flooding and can use normal sanitary protection rather than the night time Tena pads I relied on before. I don't have cramps or pain and am pleased with the procedure.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 03-Jan-16 08:50:41

Worked for me. My periods are loads lighter and less painful. Had it done five years ago and still good.

I have put weight on in the last five years but think that's down to eating crap and getting older.

Hyggeligt Sun 03-Jan-16 09:21:48

Thank you so much-you have all had such positive experiences....the danger of Google is that everyone wants to post their negatives I guess!
I'll talk to my consultant again; I'm 42 and having days where work is nigh on impossible so something has to change.

ArabellaRockerfella Sun 03-Jan-16 14:18:57

I had it done this July and have no side effects at all. I have had no bleeding since. I can now lead a normal life, without flooding and anaemia and exhaustion. Well worth it. I'm 43.

AliJE Mon 04-Jan-16 13:36:46

I am really glad I came across your comments. I am booked in for the Novasure procedure at the end of the month and feeling a bit nervous. I am 44 and have been suffering problems with my periods since the birth of my second child 7 years ago. Fingers crossed it will help!

KH46 Wed 08-Feb-17 07:00:39

Hi
I had Novasure done on 27th January 2017.
Was very nervous about the procedure as I read reviews. But due to periods so heavy I blacked out and smashed all my face I needed to try something. I'm 46 and after the black out, they tried the coil which caused labour pains and expelled 4 days later. So the Novasure was the next option. I had the procedure done on the Friday morning by general anaesthetic, I woke up an hour later with slight period pains but was given pain relief. Within the hour I was sat up in bed with toast. And by 1pm was on my way home. Since then I had very slight period for 2 days and now nothing. I was back at work within 4 days! I'm hoping I don't put the weight on that people say but other than that it's been marvellous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now