Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have a stitch coming out of wound (pic included)

(23 Posts)
MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 16:57:47

Can someone tell me should I pull it, leave it or get it sorted at minor injuries. I am taking antibiotics as it has been infected with a suspicion of a stitch. Any advice appreciated.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 02-Jan-16 17:03:01

Don't pull it! I'd phone out of hours and see what they have to say. They'll probably make you come in I'd think but that's no bad thing.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Jan-16 17:03:17

Is it a dissolving or non dissolving?

Assuming non dissolving because it looks like other stitches removed, I'd give it a gentle pull and see if it comes out. If it doesn't I'd get it seen to, as its presence will probably retard healing and provide a focus for infection.

southeastastra Sat 02-Jan-16 17:05:42

We was it hiding ? I would cut it off but in don't listen to me I know nothing. Its interesting though

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 17:07:24

It's in my back. It is meant to be dissolvable I think as ialso had external ones removed.

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 17:09:00

Do internal ones dissolve? Dh tried to pull it and it really hurt.

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 17:14:35

Its coming from inside my wound. Thanks for the replies. smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Jan-16 17:14:36

If it really hurts don't try and pull it out. Dissolvable stitches do often spit out (pretty much all of mine did/are).

Depending on pain level it may be worth seeing if DP can pull it far enough out that he can get some nail clippers under the knot to cut it off. (Make everything as clean as possible). That knot needs to come out for things to start healing properly.

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 17:16:56

dh has gone up the pub now hmm Mum said she would take me to minor injuries, we are lucky enough to have one in our town, but I dont want to waist their time if im fussing over nothing.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 02-Jan-16 17:20:05

Go up, you're not wasting their time at all. You don't want the infection to get worse and given its an internal not external stitch, I wouldn't touch it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Jan-16 17:20:42

You're not fussing over nothing. It looks like that stitch is working its way out and has caused a stitch abcess. You will heal much much faster if that knot comes out. Keep an eye out for more coming through too.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 02-Jan-16 17:23:52

I think I've the same problem. I've we had a MIU I'd be heading straight there, it'll be ideal.
I can't face A&E so am hanging on for GPs on Monday.

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 17:23:54

Ok thank you wil go up there and get it seen to.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 02-Jan-16 17:28:21

Good luck!

Littleallovertheshop Sat 02-Jan-16 17:30:16

Blanche, I'm in Scotland but is there no local OOH provision nearby? Up here it's NHS 24 and they send us to a different part of the hospital which you can't go to w/o an appointment.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 02-Jan-16 17:36:17

I'm 5 weeks post OP, the thing I can feel is tiny and in the absence of any symptoms I think I'll hang on but thanks anyway.

I promise I'll go if it starts to bother me! fsmile

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 21:20:50

So just got back. They had a look at it but as they dont do orthopedics/neurosurgey there they were reluctant to mess around with it. They tried to pull it just in case but it is stuck fast. Thry phone the ospital I had it done but as its a saturdaythere was only an on call consultant and he was reluctant to comment without knowing my details so have been told to ring the ward Monday so they can arrange it being checked by someone who deals with back surgery. Im glad I went now otherwise I would have um and ahed all weekend worrying about it.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 02-Jan-16 22:08:35

All the best for Monday!

MegGriffin Sat 02-Jan-16 23:07:27

Thank you Sauvignon and I hope yours remain ok.

PersephonePitstop Mon 04-Jan-16 14:49:31

I saw a Nurse Practitioner today, she initially told me it was a scab but when I pointed out that it would be a very tenacious scab to be still hanging on after 4 weeks she had another feel with forceps and found a suture knot.
It does feel better now it's gone! grin

Hope yours is gone too OP?

Littleallovertheshop Mon 04-Jan-16 15:20:11

Oh good! I have one under my skin which is almost wirey, had it for 6 years and no one believes me I can feel it although the more weight I put on the less it annoys glad yours was easily fixed

itsbegginingtolook Thu 07-Jan-16 21:14:43

come back op and let us know how you got on smile

MegGriffin Fri 08-Jan-16 14:46:39

Hello. Im glad you got rid of yours Persephone, its perturbing having something there that shouldn't be. six years Littleallover thats a long time. I had another go at pulling it the day after minor injuries and it snapped off in my fingers. The remainder shrivelled up back inside me. I have finished my second lot of anti biotics yesterday and at the moment its looking a little better so we are watching it carefully. There is still a lump but its less red and the hole is healing nicely so fingers crossed. I wont hesitate to go back to docs if it flares up agsin and I see the consultant for post op follow up 21 Jan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now