Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Heart problems and OOH

(16 Posts)
JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 11:06:09

My DM's DP has a history of heart attacks etc. (So does my DM hence her worry and general moodiness about it)
Every few nights he's getting up with chest pains, taking his GTN spray and waiting until it subsides. The most he has taken his spray in one night is 3 times.
Obviously DM is worried and moody because he doesn't wake her.
Although I have insomnia, I seem to be asleep when these happen!
So, my question.
If I phone 111, can he "override" their decision to go to a&e and just see the OOH (who I'm guessing will listen to his heart and escalate if needed)?

YeOldeTrout Sat 02-Jan-16 11:31:19

Do you not have a direct phone no. to the OOH doc?

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 11:36:02

As far as I know, we can only get in via the 111 triage

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 11:41:50

Just double checked (phoned the doctors and listened to the answerphone message) and it's only through 111 sad

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 12:02:14

My main question is, can he override it?
The reason he won't call anyone is because he doesn't want to get taken in. But I really think he should be seen. So this is a compromise

NoahVale Sat 02-Jan-16 12:04:40

Dont worry about over riding. Do it if you want to, or you could just tell them, I dont want to go to A & E

NoahVale Sat 02-Jan-16 12:05:24

Tell them, I want to see out of hours doctor.
on the other hand, perhaps the out of hours doctor doesnt have facility to help him?

NoahVale Sat 02-Jan-16 12:09:10

or can promise he will ring on monday and make an appointment for his GP

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 12:10:50

Yeah, I thought about that.
But the doctor would have more power to say get your arse on that bed while we fix you up to machines. IYKWIM

DesertOrDessert Sat 02-Jan-16 12:20:01

He can override the suggestion, as in not visit A&E.
If they send an ambulance, it is harder to not get checked out, but no hospital trip necessary sometimes.

111 do not, ime, force you to go anywhere, just suggest the most appropriate care according to a sometimes flawed decision tree for the symptoms you've listed.

Ubik1 Sat 02-Jan-16 12:32:35

Are you phoning 111 about him without his knowledge?
Because if that's the case it is very difficult for them to advise due to patient confidentiality/no medical history available.

If you are phoning 111 with his agreement then you could perhaps discuss options with them - but only with his telephone consent unless it's an emergency.

It sounds like something that needs urgent medical advice - if it was my relative I would probably phone 111 and persuade my relative to speak to triage nurse.

It's his heart - it's quite important

Ubik1 Sat 02-Jan-16 12:34:55

Please phone them - once you start the process you might find he's more willing to accept their advice smile

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 12:43:38

Well my plan is to stay up tonight and see if he gets up. If he does I'll do I "you phone them or I will, I don't want you getting any poor liver, maybe they just need to give you a stronger spray, whatever". Either I'll phone (then hand phone over) or he'll phone. I'll give him a lift to OOH (which is at the same place as A&E). Sorted.
Then the doctor can see what he needs.
He really won't go to A&E and he wouldn't entertain paramedics but, I think, he really really needs to be seen and I'm thinking a "normal" GP is the easiest way of getting him sorted IYKWIM

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 02-Jan-16 12:44:58

Poor liver = poorlier

Musicaltheatremum Sat 02-Jan-16 14:06:11

He is getting angina at rest, he needs admitting and sorted out. You could go via OOH but he will end up being referred anyway.

Woopsiedaisy Sat 02-Jan-16 14:29:25

I believe the advice currently given is:

If you get Angina use your GTN spray.

If the chest pain hasn't subsided after 5 minutes use it again.

If it still hasnt subsided phone 999 as you may be having a Heart Attack or Angiospasm.

There is a lot more information available about Angina and GTN sprays on the British Heart Foundation website.

Disclaimer: I have no medical training but I do have a Heart condition and have had to phone 999 after GTN failed to stop a developing Heart Attack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: