Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Supplement experts! how does this concoction sound for my various ailments?

(6 Posts)
ApologiesToInsectLife Fri 01-Jan-16 08:07:45

I'm currently taking:
St John's Wort for mild/moderate depression
Agnus Castus for bad pmt.
Vit D because of general lack of energy and because I read most people are deficient/should take it.
Vit B complex again for energy levels.
Cod Liver Oil capsules for general creakiness.
Does this sound OK? I'm about to start a demanding full time job and would like to give myself as much back up as possible! Is there anything else that could be added in (besides a generally healthy diet etc). Thanks!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 01-Jan-16 10:20:52

There is a really great article in this months Good Food about supplements and how to achieve the same as tablets through diet. Also if you are going to use supplements when to use them in the day and whether they are best with or without food.

ApologiesToInsectLife Fri 01-Jan-16 14:08:42

Thanks Lonecat. I'm not brilliant at keeping a pristine diet to be honest but I will have a look at that.

PollyPerky Sat 02-Jan-16 17:16:03

If it's energy levels have you thought about exercise? Taking exercise outdoors especially in green spaces has been shown to be as effective for depression as drugs. If you aren't already getting a minimum of 30 minutes 5 x a week doing moderate exercise then I'd do that before popping supplements.

Vit B is more for a healthy nervous system- not for energy.

If you really feel lacking in energy then have you looked at the obvious like sleep quality, hydration (enough water?) no sugar, few refined carbs etc - which all cause energy slumps.

I'd focus on clean eating and exercise before anything else. Vit D is about the only thing I'd say stick with, possibly the fish oils (but again, oily fish 3 x a week is enough for that.)

ApologiesToInsectLife Sat 02-Jan-16 18:57:09

Hi polly, thanks for your reply. Yes I do take exercise - very brisk 45 mins walking 4-5 times a week usually. It does help. I have eaten low carb in the past and lost a lot of weight doing that. I'm planning to clean my diet up a lot but not be fanatical as I can't maintain that sort of thing. I do find agnus castus regulates my periods. Glad to hear vit d is good - it's something I've never tried before.

Flowerpower41 Mon 04-Jan-16 11:00:07

Be careful what you take with agnus castus for example omega 3 reacts badly to it and it can bring out raging depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now