Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I wish AF would just eff off already

(11 Posts)
SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Tue 29-Dec-15 23:59:39

I'm getting so pissed off with this constant bleeding. 8 weeks so far and showing no sign of abating. Previous period was normal but the one before that lasted about 4 months. It's physically exhausting.

I'm going to have to go to the GP aren't I? I've been putting it off as everything I (rarely) go to the GP about is 'down to my weight' and I don't think her standard 'cure' of 'eat more brown bread' is going to be helpful here.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Maiziemonkey Wed 30-Dec-15 02:47:10

Yes, go to your gp, this is not normal, you need checking out. Having a period for longer Ryan usual is a drain on your iron reserves so make sure you are getting enough. Could be pcos or several other things so see a doc. Best of luck 😎

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 30-Dec-15 11:27:43

I would see the GP as soon as you are able to do so. Bleeding like this is not normal and the cause needs to be determined. I would also be asking them for a referral to a gynae as such problems are often outside a GPs general remit.

NoahVale Wed 30-Dec-15 11:30:13

they can give you norhisterone or something, to stop it

tobee Wed 30-Dec-15 12:11:47

Please, please bite the bullet and see your gp. Your iron levels and ferritin reserves could well be depleted and can cause serious symptoms (speak from experience). There are so many things they can help you with in shorter term and longer term but all investigations and treatments can take a while so you need to get the ball rolling. Good luck, it's such misery to bleed like that.

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Wed 30-Dec-15 16:23:00

Thanks everyone. I knew that I really should see a gp but mine is such an arse. Luckily I phoned for an appointment and she is away so I'm seeing another one next week instead.
I've been trying to keep ahead on my iron levels as I've struggled with it a bit since I stopped smoking but I'm still constantly shattered. Hopefully this GP will be better then my usual.

Outaboutnowt Wed 30-Dec-15 16:30:10

I had this once, I had a period that went on for 3 months. No idea why, but my cycle is very irregular.

I went to the GP and she gave me the drug to stop the bleeding plus the combined pill to start taking afterwards to regulate me a bit - I was on that for a few months then came off and it's not happened again since, periods have been relatively normal (for me).

I also got iron tablets as my iron levels were really low. You do need to get it checked out. Good luck!

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Thu 07-Jan-16 14:11:57

Just an update really. Saw a lovely new doctor who has referred me for blood tests and an 'urgent' scan. I politely declined his offer to "have a look" as a) I'm still bleeding eww and b) not convinced my vagina is the problem but he did reassure me that it's not entirely weight related and he would be happy to see me for any issues in the future so hopefully im on my way to finally stop bleeding smile

Thanks again

tobee Fri 08-Jan-16 21:51:29

Very glad you went to a new gp. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Themodernuriahheep Fri 08-Jan-16 21:54:19

Tell reception you want to come under new doc's care, zap old one!

jellycake Fri 08-Jan-16 22:24:54

I had this last year, bled for 8 weeks got very anaemic (they were talking blood transfusion). After scans and a hysteroscopy, everything was normal so they gave me a Mirena. Best thing I ever had, I was getting terrible periods, incredibly painful. I'm 43 so definitely peri menopausal, this has stopped the lot. It is bliss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now