Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatic pain/spasms at night - can I do anything?

(7 Posts)
Celen Sun 27-Dec-15 18:29:32

I'm currently suffering my third bout of sciatica. During the day, the pain is manageable with exercise and medication but at night time, the spasms & pain really hit hard.

I'm planning on going to the gps hopefully this week but it's come on quite fast this time round and I don't know how to get through another two nights without help!

Any ideas? I know it's quite commonly suffered on MN but I'm unsure of which stretches would do more harm than good when I google...please can anyone advise me?

Thank you smile

Maiziemonkey Mon 28-Dec-15 02:40:06

Hi Gelen , try the back thread on here- lots of good advice and shared experiences. I don't know how to deal with sciatica- does it respond to painkillers? If you cannot see a doc to get something like a strong painkiller for few days, you can take paracetamol with codeine AND ibuprofen with codeine and this will be quite a good strength of analgesia. My sympathies as sciatica is very painful, my sister and mum had it repeatedly

Marshy Mon 28-Dec-15 07:05:18

A hot water bottle as hot as you can stand it.

You gave my sincere sympathies. Sciatica is horrible. I hope you feel better soon.

Marshy Mon 28-Dec-15 07:06:08

Have.....flippin autocorrect

Celen Mon 28-Dec-15 07:42:48

Thanks Maizie and Marshy, I'll take a look at the back thread. I'm already taking all those you mention Maizie and actually had a better night last night, maybe I just need a few days for the painkillers to kick in.

Thanks both smile

MatildaTheCat Mon 28-Dec-15 12:17:22

Amitriptyine is a helpful med for nerve pain and has the additional bonus of making you feel sleepy. It can cause a hangover effect until you get used to it and can take a little while to build up but I would recommend asking your GP for a trail.

Sciatica doesn't respond very well to opiates unfortunately. Agree with very hot hot water bottle. Hope you feel better soon.

Maiziemonkey Mon 28-Dec-15 14:19:51

I wonder if TENS would help as I find it similar to heat in its effect and what pain it helps. Worth a try. If you find heat helps and need to go out, get a heat patch from boots or pound shops (yes weirdly they stock pretty good ones) and u can stick it to outside of knickers or inside tights. Hope you get it under control soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now