Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very sore, red and whitish inflammed gum

(18 Posts)
loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:37:38

Just that really. I clean my teeth twice a day. And I'm not aware of catching it at all. Is this gum disease? Or does that just happen to people that don't clean their teeth?!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 26-Dec-15 18:41:12

Is it a throbbing pain? Abscess?

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:45:04

Hi

It doesn't throb but it's swollen and it's making my face, throat and ear slightly sore. I get sore gums quite regularly.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 26-Dec-15 18:52:19

An abscess makes the gum look white-ish and can also give ear-ache - I suppose only a dentist can say for sure. I thought gum disease just made the gums redder, recede, and prone to bleeding

Mrsmorton Sat 26-Dec-15 18:52:27

Do you have regular check ups? Can you see your dentist soon?

gamerchick Sat 26-Dec-15 18:54:09

do you floss? do your gums bleed when you brush?

SOmetimes brushing isn't enough, however it you're having problems with your mouth then you should see your dentist.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:55:18

Yeah have regular check ups and I'm due for one.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:56:15

No I don't floss. Yes they bleed sometimes, even when they're not inflamed.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:57:47

Dentist always says my teeth are perfect. I forget to mention this though!

gamerchick Sat 26-Dec-15 19:05:02

then you need to tell him your issues. If your bums bleed and you don't floss then you need to address that. Tell the dentist at your next check that you want to talk about your gums.

LIZS Sat 26-Dec-15 19:14:58

Lol @ image of flossing one's behind!

Do you see a hygienist ? Sounds like a deep clean under the gum line may help. Have you knocked the tooth adjacent to the white patch? Could it be pus?

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 19:21:24

No my bum doesn't bleed!

No not seen a hygienist. Haven't knocked the tooth no. So could it be because I don't floss?

LIZS Sat 26-Dec-15 19:28:50

Could be, the gums can get loose and harbour bacteria and plaque. Hygienist can clean it out and improve gum health.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 26-Dec-15 21:07:26

I have absolutely no plaque build up in that area!

LIZS Sat 26-Dec-15 21:08:37

It calcifies against the tooth so you may not realise.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 27-Dec-15 13:25:22

Thanks LIZS, and thanks to everyone else for the replies. smile

antimatter Sun 27-Dec-15 13:31:47

You need to see hygenist. Sorw and bleeding gums aee sign of gum infection. The build up is below the gum line where you can't reach. Hygenist till advise yiu what to do.
Are you using ekectric toothbrush?
Mine has setting "gum xare" where it tomes 30 seconds on each half of the jaw. So in total takes me 8x30 sec to brush my teeth twice a day.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 27-Dec-15 13:41:34

Thanks I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow. No don't use electric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now