Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Normal for large boil to still be lumpy after draining?

(1 Post)
FloraTheU Wed 23-Dec-15 11:41:07

Had a huge boil appear on my bikini area last week and after it got no better saw walk in centre on Monday, she prodded it and it started draining a bit (yeah) and put me on a 5 day course of 500mg Flucoxacillin. The boil then continued draining for roughly 24 hours but it is hard to tell how much came out as it was onto gauze. I was told if no significant improvement to return in 48 hours for a possible referral for surgical removal.

I am getting paranoid as I go on holiday next Tuesday. It is not as red and sore as it was and does not seem as swollen. I am keeping in clean and dressed with gauze and savlon. I have been taking the medicine to the letter every 6 hours. On Monday I squealed when she prodded it but now it is a lot less tender and I could apply slight pressure with no real pain.

It still feels very lumpy though, like there is a hard wall around it. Is this normal? I assume such tissue would not go away that quickly and the draining coupled with the reduced swelling and tenderness is significant improvement and I can just carry on with the rest of my course and keeping it clean?

I feel well, no temperature or chills, no redness or red lines around the boil, I keep checking wen I clean and change the dressing.

To illustrate how bad this was I normally can't resist squeezing at all costs. But I knew this was a seriously bad idea and have not even been tempted. Just so worried I will have to cancel a much needed holiday. I think the boil took hold as I am run down and my trip was the perfect antidote sad.

Any advice much appreciated! I don't think all the stress is helping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now