Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why do I have no hair on my legs?

(12 Posts)
Getit Tue 22-Dec-15 11:12:19

Could there be a medical reason?
My legs have always had very fine soft hair on them but has now completely disappeared. Baby smooth legs( I do see the benefits)
But is it right?
My head hair has thinned over the years also.

Clarella Tue 22-Dec-15 12:20:50

It could be indicative of some underlying thing or not.

Any other symptoms?

Possibly thyroid.
www.btf-thyroid.org/information/109-hair-loss-and-thyroid-disorders

Getit Tue 22-Dec-15 12:33:03

I do have a small pea size cyst on my thyroid area. This was scanned few years back. But they didn't say it needed monitoring .

Getit Tue 22-Dec-15 12:36:09

My nails peel and are v weak and have vertical lines
My head hair is fine
I'm often tired
I get dry skin that sheds sometimes
I have had ferritin level of 12 previously but I now take ferograd c and b12 and perfectil multivitamins .
Sorry to drip feed

Titsywoo Tue 22-Dec-15 12:42:48

I have this and have read it can be down to issues with circulation in the legs.

Equiem89 Tue 22-Dec-15 13:08:29

I would get your ferritin retested, it should be above 70

Clarella Tue 22-Dec-15 14:09:58

I would go to GP and ask to check if there are any issues that could be helped - yes to ferritin ideally above 70.

These things could be iron related or possibly other things like vit d or b12, under active thyroid also often causes constipation too. I'm not sure about the thyroid cyst I think it's a different issue but worth checking out.

Getit Tue 22-Dec-15 14:31:55

My ferritin was retested ages ago and it had come up above 70. Since then I have taken the vitamins.

Clarella Tue 22-Dec-15 16:53:00

Ok, maybe check re thyroid. Or other stuff. No harm in asking.

Getit Tue 22-Dec-15 21:13:55

Thanks

BatsUpMyNightie Tue 22-Dec-15 23:09:28

Watching with interest OP as I have exactly the same things going on as you. In fact my leg hair has been like this for maybe 10 years. Have the ridged nails. Thin hair and not much of it - and it's getting thinner. Hypo-thyroidism runs right down my family line and I am convinced that my symptoms indicate this and yet every couple of years I get a blood test and they keep saying no. I'm at a loss as to what to do next! Please let me know if you get any more information!

Getit Thu 24-Dec-15 09:32:12

That is interesting.
I also get bouts of itching all over. Do you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now