Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I REALLY hate mouth ulcers...l

(14 Posts)
BoxofSnails Tue 22-Dec-15 11:10:26

I have had mouth ulcers which have recurred for 3-8 years. At least once I had low white blood cells but the rest were "one of those things".
Those times DH ended up cooking tea for me in bed which I really struggled to eat.

Today, here we are again, I noticed them around 4am, now have a long sore area on my upper left lip, and not sure what will help the symptoms, some sore of bonjela? Since they stopped making adcortyl dissolvable tablets I'm really unsure what to use. I need to go to work tomorrow, preferably comfortably!!! I'm a healthcare worker so I really need to be the best I can be. Can anyone help???

BoxofSnails Tue 22-Dec-15 11:18:41

Apologies, I meant sort of not sore.

I can't get any help from haematology so in the meantime I'd rather just be sure what's going on, or really to just have some empathy and understanding as to why I find it so painful!

Wolpertinger Tue 22-Dec-15 11:21:44

Get yourself some Iglu gel instead of Bonjela.

BoxofSnails Tue 22-Dec-15 18:55:10

Thank you thank you whoever you are - Iglu is definitely better. I look like I've been beaten up and have an awful fat lip but less uncomfortable. Lymph nodes are the worst.

FoggyMorn Tue 22-Dec-15 18:58:51

Have you been tested for inflammatory bowel conditions/ceoliac disease? Mouth ulsers can be a symptom of these conditions.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 23-Dec-15 08:43:49

My mouth ulcers have eased since I started taking B vitamins. I still get them but nowhere near as bad.

pompster Wed 23-Dec-15 08:57:38

www.amazon.co.uk/Oralmedic-Mouth-Ulcer-Treatment-0-2ml/dp/B0015X5ZW4

Try this. It's awesome. It's pricey and absolutely stings like mad when you first apply but it nearly completely numbs the ulcer and you don't even know its there. No re-application needed, and I just put on a bit of bonjela before eating if it's particuarly horrible big ulcer just in case. I don't think you can get it in shops anymore, I always use amazon now.

iwillbemrsminty Wed 23-Dec-15 13:29:26

I get lots of painful mouth ulcers too,you have my sympathy, they are nasty. I agree with pompster, Oralmedic is what I use now too. Hells bell does it sting when you first put it on, but it's worth it for the relief that follows. I also use salt if I haven't got any Oralmedic in, again, stings like hell but it does numb quickly.

Rooberoobe Wed 23-Dec-15 13:43:50

Not sure if it works as I don't suffer but someone told me aloe Vera straight from the plant?! Apparently tastes vile but works wonders. Not so sure about it myself but up to you!

Katymac Wed 23-Dec-15 21:31:11

The number of ulcers I get has reduced since I started taking either Zinc or B12, but tbh I'm not sure which

Willdoitinaminute Wed 23-Dec-15 21:40:53

We use denture fixative over painful ulcers. Use a cotton bud to apply. It forms a temp cover over them making it easier to eat and drink. Used to prescribe Adcortyl in orobase but it's no longer manufactured. It was basically steroid in denture fixative and I suspect the fixative bit gave more relief then the steroid.
Also Peroxyl mouthwash is also great to reduce secondary bacterial infection.
Peroxyl is also fantastic for sore throats if you use it as a gargle.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Wed 23-Dec-15 21:44:28

Zinc.

That is the thing that finally cured mine. Zinc deficiency causes mouth ulcers. Such a relief when I found that out and started taking a supplement. They were often worse when I had my period as well, but zinc (did I mention zinc - it's good) did the job!

BoxofSnails Fri 25-Dec-15 15:10:41

Sorry I disappeared from the thread. Is the zinc in a standard multivitamin enough? I am definitely going to get some of that oral medic stuff for next time.

I finally ate some solid food today - it was sooooo nice! Have adcortyl to put on it - finally - very grateful for pharmacy that was open out hours.

Thanks everyone, mumsnet is such a great help.

Katymac Fri 25-Dec-15 17:13:02

I take Zinc glutanate as I found
Zinc Sulphate gave me wind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now