Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uti help

(9 Posts)
Dinobab Tue 22-Dec-15 07:38:30

Is there much I can do without going to gp? There's no way I'm going to get an appointment any time soon, and i'm pretty sure its just a uti.
Weird itchy burny uretha, painfull to wee, need to pee all the time and back hurts etc
Can I just drink lots of water?

Have only ever had one before but it got so painful I couldn't move and had no idea what it was so wasn't drinking anything much for days because I felt sick and I'm scared it's going to get worse and be like that again..

Superdrug have an online doctor thing I can order antibiotics for cystitis from but is that the same thing? Is it safe to do that?

Shakerlackerboomboom Tue 22-Dec-15 07:58:51

Can you get to a gp today?

You need to keep drinking, so your urine isn't concentrated as concentrated urine triggers the bladder more making it more painful

VocationalGoat Tue 22-Dec-15 08:01:22

Drinking loads of water and taking a couple of paracetamol will help. But you have an infection and ought to tell the reception to book you a same day telephone consultation with GP. Normally, under those circumstances, a GP will fit you in and treat you urgently.

PurpleWithRed Tue 22-Dec-15 08:02:55

What everyone else says - drink loads of water and phone the surgery. Is your wee cloudy?

Lilybensmum1 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:04:36

Could you not get a telephone consult? They might ask you to take a sample in and check it then and there and if needed issue a prescription, however sounds like it might be fairly mild so lots of fluid at this stage might stop progression. Good luck.

CuckooCalling Tue 22-Dec-15 08:11:43

Def phone GO and tell them - you may be able to simply hand in sample and they'll give you a course of antibiotics.

Ita really important to get it seem to properly. I once put up with an infection for a few days before getting a course of a-b's. I then had infection after infection for 4-5 months as I think infection has really managed to establish itself.

Go to the GP!

eurochick Tue 22-Dec-15 08:12:35

A small amount of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water can help if you catch it early enough but back pain makes me think it could have moved to your kidneys, in which case you need antibiotics ASAP.

LIZS Tue 22-Dec-15 08:16:01

You can get sachets from supermarkets and chemists but if it is a real uti you will need abs.

Dinobab Tue 22-Dec-15 09:44:12

Thanks everyone, I'll try for a phone appointment but won't hold my breath, last time the out of hours gp said to make a gp appointment first thing the next day because I was dehydrated (hyperemsis) and the receptionist argued with me for ages saying I couldn't hmm

I'd that fails i can get timethropin from the superdrug online doctor thingy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now