Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

smear test then mirena inserted??

(10 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Sun 20-Dec-15 18:29:21

As above really.

I'm due to have my second smear test (last time that I had it I already had a mirena in place) a few years later I had it removed. Got pregnant had a miscarriage (2014) got pregnant again and I'm sat here with a 9 week old ds. Anyway, because me and dh have decided that we are NEVER having any more children (I've been pregnant 5 times with 6 children - I have a 6 year old girl and 9 week old ds) can I ask to have a mirena fitted as I'm having the smear (or just after)?? I'm not overly keen on ve's so I'd rather it all done together. Dh is having a vasectomy in 2 days. Wish I wasnt such a wimp lol

brightwell Sun 20-Dec-15 21:16:56

Yes they can be done at the same time, you have to be 12weeks post delivery for the smear,(if it's due) don't understand why you want a mirena if your dh is having a vasectomy.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 20-Dec-15 21:24:45

Double Dutch really... We really really really don't want anymore (I would opt for sterilisation but apparently I'm too young to make that choice for myself lol -29) and if we were to break up (which touch wood wouldn't happen)we don't want children with anyone else - just happy with our two. Thank you by the way. My smear is booked for the 20/1 so it will be past the 12 week point... Do I need to pre-book the mirena part or can I just ask as I've got my legs in the stirrups lol x

StillShopalot Sun 20-Dec-15 21:30:44

At our doctors surgery there is only one doctor who fits the mirena coil and she has to have a nurse assistant booked at the same time. I think you would definitely need to book. They also like fitting it during your period which sounds worse than it is.

Best thing to do would be to give them a call.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 20-Dec-15 21:37:46

Okay will do. I wonder whether I can book gas and air for myself. I really hate speculums! Dh is really calm... His seems so much worse than mine.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 20-Dec-15 21:38:29

I realise no one else in their right mind likes speculums

LBOCS2 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:40:39

I did it the other way around - I booked my Mirena insertion and said 'while you're down there...' so got a smear done too. But yes, you can have them both done at the same time, but it has to be at least 12wks postpartum.

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Dec-15 21:42:18

I doubt if smear & Mirena would be done at the same time. Mirena coil is ideally fitted during your period and that is not when smear tests are done.

brightwell Sun 20-Dec-15 22:05:47

Yes you do need to book, at our surgery ladies see their own GP who gives them a prescription for the coil, to bring with them & as StillShopalot says it's a double appointment with GP & nurse. We don't do coil fits during periods. Smear is taken first then coil fit

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Dec-15 22:19:28

Why do you not fit Mirena coil during periods, out of curiosity? Mirena website says it should be placed within 7 days of the 1st day of your period. I was told by the doctor who fitted mine that the cervix is slightly open during the period and so it is easier/less painful to insert it during that time. (That might be why mine was only just uncomfortable, not hideously painful as I've seen said on MN).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now