Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatica getting worse.

(11 Posts)
Crankycunt Sun 20-Dec-15 15:18:26

I have sciatica, and over the past day or so, I have noticed that the numbness and pain is getting worse.

I've been numb in my leg, foot and big toe for about a year, however since last night my ankle has been numb it also feels hot, but hot on the inside not outside. And tmi when I wipe after having a wee it's kind numb but only on the left side.

The pain is spreading into my right hip, and it's like someone has a vice on my hips slowly crushing them. I can't even walk that far.

I've got ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine. My Dr has also prescibed gabapentin but I'm building up the dosage. I've got a tens machine, heat pads, ice packs in the freezer. Nothing is helping. What can I do to get some relief sad

Marshy Sun 20-Dec-15 15:42:26

Hi there cranky
There is a longstanding thread on here all about back pain. I can't link to it but you'll find it if you look back a bit. Lots of knowledgeable posters there. I get sciatica and have lurked there but not posted.

I'm just getting over an acute episode. For me, max painkillers plus a bit of diazwpam for the first few days, and hot water bottle as hot as I can stand. Keep pottering and wait for it to improve. It's miserable and sooo painful - you have my heartfelt sympathies.

The lack of sensation when you wipe sounds a bit more concerning. Does your gp know that you have that symptom?

Owllady Sun 20-Dec-15 15:43:42

Have you had an mri scan to rule everything else out? sad

Crankycunt Sun 20-Dec-15 15:51:59

Thank you, I will look for the threadstore.

The numbness when I wipe is new, I've got an appointment this week with my dr, so I will tell him then.

I've been putting up with this for a year, but it's just getting worse, usually diazipam does the trick, but not this time.

Crankycunt Sun 20-Dec-15 15:54:08

No mri, I've only just got a referal to the spine clinic, hopefully they will give me one, see what is actually going on down there.

coffeeisnectar Sun 20-Dec-15 15:54:41

You need to see a consultant to get an mri. I'm having my second surgery in the new year after 10 years of sciatic pain.

minipin Sun 20-Dec-15 21:45:14

Please see someone ASAP even go to a walking clinic tomorrow. If you have numbness down below it could be a sign of cauda equina syndrome which is classed as a medical emergency. Go to a and e now if you can't pee.

Marshy Sun 20-Dec-15 21:58:23

Cranky I think if you're getting numbness in the genital area you really should get that checked out as a matter of urgency for the reason that minipin says.

Hope you're ok and feel better soon.

daydream86 Sun 20-Dec-15 22:18:53

cranky I hope you're reading these replys, as the ladies have said above if you are having new numbness in the genital area that your Gp doesnt already know about, difficulty passing urine or incontinence, I wouldn't wait, you need to go to A&E. It could be cauda equina and they will take that seriously. I had severe sciatica with a disc prolapse last year, I was crippled with it and tried all of the things you tried above. the only thing which helped
slightly was diazepam and ended up having surgery on it, which thankfully was 100% successfull and now live a pain free life again x

saltlakecity Mon 21-Dec-15 13:17:41

Definitely get in to see a doc today. Like others have said. Numbness down below can be serious. Go straight in.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 21-Dec-15 16:50:51

Please see a doctor ASAP. DH has chronic sciatica and was told by his consultant that if he had any numbness in that area he needed to to to A & E. I hope you're ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now