Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods coming every two weeks

(11 Posts)
PinotAndPlaydough Sun 20-Dec-15 15:03:14

As the title says really. Bit of background- my periods pre children were fairly irregular because of PCOS, I had a very big ovarian cyst removed when I was 14, I have been slowly stopping breast feeding for a month she stopped completely last week. This is now the third period I've had in six weeks, they are fairly heavy (but none of the usual clots [sorry!]) and are lasting 7-8 days rather than the normal 5.

Just hormonal? Worth a go trip? Tia

m0therofdragons Sun 20-Dec-15 15:08:14

See your gp.I have polyps that they're removing soon. Constantly seem to have painful periods every other week.

PreAdvent13610 Sun 20-Dec-15 15:09:30

Stopping breast feeding can be a big hormonal bump for some. Give it another couple of months and hopefully it should settle.
Do pop in and see the women's nurse if it is really worrying you.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 20-Dec-15 15:09:37

How old are you? I have this and it's a sign that I am peri-menopausal.

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Sun 20-Dec-15 15:10:29

I would see your GP, but I did have the same after finishing BFing. Every two weeks, and very heavy. It did calm down after a couple of months, but was hugely inconvenient in that time.

PinotAndPlaydough Sun 20-Dec-15 15:32:34

I'm 31, so hoping not peri menopausal, although my mum did go through it very early and when I've googled that I have had some of the other symptoms which of course could be coincidence.

PinotAndPlaydough Sun 20-Dec-15 15:34:16

Also would it make a difference that the child I stopped bf is now 2 so wasn't feeding a huge amount anyway?

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Sun 20-Dec-15 15:42:45

I was early 30s when I went to the GP about similar. Blood tests all came back showing no issues, and menopause still a long way away. GP said it was just really common in your 30s. So a combination of timing and hormonal changes is probably to blame. I ended up having the implant, which helped me (although it doesn't help everyone).

But get it checked out if you're worried.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 20-Dec-15 15:54:27

See the GP and if this person is unsure then ask at that time for a referral to a gynae.

Fibroids for instance can cause heavy bleeding to arise.

eckythumpenallthat Sun 20-Dec-15 15:54:30

My irregular periods (average break between each period being 10-12 days) was due to overactive thyroid

Either way. Go see your GP smile

PinotAndPlaydough Sun 20-Dec-15 16:12:50

Thanks everyone, sounds like it's fairly common. I will get an appointment in the new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now