Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please can someone help

(118 Posts)
MedicalAdviceNeeded Sat 19-Dec-15 19:16:28

DH and I had a very stressful time and chose not to have sex for a while. Was only 4-6 weeks without and we aren't very active generallysad. First time of doing it for the next few days I was burning and had a fishy smelling odour. On returning home saw ooh doctor and he diagnosed something beginning with t. Gave me antibiotics. Results back three days later - negative for everything confused. I took the antibiotics as I had started them and nurse said wouldn't hurt to finish the packet.

Nurse said after being under huge stress it was my body's way of reacting and I had developed an allergy to my husband. Advised to use condoms. This we have but still the same. Burning days later and bad odour. Spoke to pharmacist, she recommended condoms and ky jelly. Apart from the fact using these two things is horrible I am still having the same reaction. Has even happened after solo orgasm but I'm not sure if delayed reaction from sex.

We can't work out if it takes longer for the burning/odour to come back if just condoms or those with the jelly though obviously I am wishing I had made a note.

I'm feeling so fed up. Our personal life has been blighted for a very long time and now that things are sorted and we are in a position to enjoy it, I'm allergic to him.

Please can anyone help?

FadedRed Sat 19-Dec-15 22:18:04

I think you should go back to your GP or Practice Nurse for more swabs to rule out an infection, and seek further advice.
Or a quicker route might be to go to your local Sexual Health clinic, as many have non appointment sessions, and your GP/PN might be very busy this week.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 20-Dec-15 08:51:59


I would go to your local GUM clinic and get some help there.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 20-Dec-15 08:57:49

Has he been treated too in case it's something that he is passing back to you every time?

Penfold007 Sun 20-Dec-15 09:05:42

You need to get tested again and your H needs treating too, you are re-infecting each other. If you use a vibrator treat yourself to a new one. Best place to get tested would be a GUM clinic.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 13:58:08

Thank you everyone. I'm going to try and see the doctor tomorrow but the receptionists all have super powers to see if you really need one. And sometimes they say no, you don't need one hmmsad.

DH has used condoms, could he still be passing it back to me? He has no symptoms.

Cocolepew Sun 20-Dec-15 13:59:57

If you are using condoms it might be a reaction to them?

donajimena Sun 20-Dec-15 14:04:00

Have a Google at vulval dermatitis. If you have ruled out the possibility of an infection. I have to be careful of bath products etc or its like its on fire in the nethers!

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 14:05:49

It started before the condom use and we are using latex free ones. It is all odd.

Took a break, happened first time, same results if with condom, if condom and KY jelly, or without a condom that we tried last night. It's almost as if I'm actually allergic to myself confused.

Penfold007 Sun 20-Dec-15 14:06:07

Trichomoniasis is symptom free in men and won't cure it's self so yes he needs to get treated.
Good luck with the receptionist.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 14:18:55

I did see men's symptoms listed so maybe it isn't trichomoniasus. confused

And how did I get it in the first place?!

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 14:19:18

Plus the antibiotics didn't cure me and it is still happening with condom use.

Pobspits Sun 20-Dec-15 14:21:30

Bacterial vaginosis?

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 14:28:37

That sounds possible from the bit I've just read but I have had antibiotics confused. It seems like unless I have more sex it is always going to happen if there is a gap between times.

DH has issues, a lot of sex is not going to be my lifesad

ChipInTheSugar Sun 20-Dec-15 14:49:40

I would put money on BV too. It can be treated with Balance Activ from chemists etc but may need metronidazole.

Sex would sometimes trigger mine, but I also get it at barren other times. I think you can even buy a kit at chemists to test for it these days.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 15:11:49

I have found the doctors and one will ring me back in the next six hours.

Chip, I think that is the antibiotic I had.

I saw a different pharmacist before the doctor and she thought there was more going on than BV.

donajimena Sun 20-Dec-15 18:16:34

Did you have a look at dermatitis?

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 18:24:58

No but I also seem to have symptoms matching PID.

Seeing doctor in two hours.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Sun 20-Dec-15 21:21:06

I just wanted to thank you all for making me realise I did need to see a doctor. I've just got back. I have BV and probably PID. I have two sets of antibiotics.

So just before Christmas two weeks of no drinking and no sex. Neither of which happens very much but even so.

Thanks again.

ChipInTheSugar Mon 21-Dec-15 09:23:01

Glad you got seen and sorted.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Mon 21-Dec-15 11:48:47

Thank you.

I've started on the two antibiotics but already feel awful. I often react badly to medicines.

Does anyone else have anything else I could do to feel better please?

I had PID when I was about nineteen and didn't really understand what it was then either. BV is not much fun either.

Thanks again everyone.

ChipInTheSugar Mon 21-Dec-15 20:57:14

What have you been given? BV itself used to make me feel rough, and metronidazole isn't the nicest anti-b, but it's effective.

I would just curl up on the sofa til it passes if possible.

MedicalAdviceNeeded Tue 22-Dec-15 02:17:21

Metro what's it and ofloxitine. Something like that. Up at 2am as can't sleep. Suspect it's the drugs. Happy Christmas to me, no drink, no sex, no sleep. Yippee.

ChipInTheSugar Tue 22-Dec-15 02:31:01

I'm awake too if it's any consolation. No sex here either for nearly three feckin years and very little alcohol confused

That's quite a common combination of meds - I guess you just have to ride it out. Can you do something to get back to sleep? Names beginning with A-Z, and then back again? Read MN til your eyelids droop ...

MedicalAdviceNeeded Tue 22-Dec-15 02:50:40

Not even that fussed about the sex and drink as don't do much of either. Just annoying that it always seems to be me that gets the rough end of the medical deal.

Might see if the in laws will have the kids. They clearly are expecting them this week, why the fuck they can't just ask is beyond me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now