Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tennis Elbow - any tips on recovery from?

(13 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Fri 18-Dec-15 16:30:52

My right arm has been sore for a while, and the GP diagnosed Tennis Elbow. It's getting to be a real pain now, literally and figuratively. It's more my forearm that aches than my elbow, though that aches too. And it throbs at night and wakes me up - and travels along my upper arm too.

Has anyone had this and found anything that helped it get better faster? Does it, in fact, get better, or does it just stick around? It's really getting in the way of my weight training too (such as it is!) as even the light weights hurt to hold, as I struggle to grip anything.

Would love to hear from others who've had this condition!

Thank you.

VegetablEsoup Fri 18-Dec-15 16:36:01

well, stopping weights training until it's healed...
if you can afford to, see a physio for some exercises and tips.

CMOTDibbler Fri 18-Dec-15 16:38:00

You have to rest it - avoid twisting or pulling actions in particular. It is a complete PITA, and I've had steroid injections, ibuprofen get, NSAIDS, physio, ultrasound and targeted exercises. The only thing that helped was acupuncture, and that has been brilliant.

Oldisthenewblack Fri 18-Dec-15 16:54:49

That's interesting, CMOTDibbler, I hate acupuncture many years ago for chronic tonsilitis and it cleared it up totally. Will consider that. I am trying to rest it, and just doing cardio.

Yes, VegetablEsoup - I have stopped weight training! Cos it really hurts...

I will be patient, and in the meantime request a referral to a physio. The physio will be sick of seeing me as I'm already seeing her for my dodgy ankle grin

RB68 Fri 18-Dec-15 17:07:38

I had a wrist support with a metal insert worn for about 4 mths and basic rest it still bothers me occasionally but not often anymore (happened about 2 yrs ago

P1nkP0ppy Fri 18-Dec-15 17:12:15

I did BodyPump and buggered up both elbows with Tennis Elbow. Only anti inflammatories and physio for 9 months solved it, along with stopping the classes for good.

10 years later they still play up if I overdo gardening or decorating.

SusannahD Fri 18-Dec-15 17:14:57

See a physio they will show you the correct exercises the DR can refer you. Rest the arm a lot, minimum computer or smart phone use. You need painkillers like naproxen, hope it gets better soon, I've had it and the pain is bad.

Oldisthenewblack Fri 18-Dec-15 17:24:49

Oh, just had a thought. Wonder if there's any connection between the tennis elbow and my recent phone scrabble and phone chess addiction?? Have been using my right hand exclusively for that....Gosh. I may expire if I can't play that. How odd to think it may be that and not the weights!!

MissTriggs Fri 18-Dec-15 17:56:35

Quite possible.

I thought my condition (thoracic outlet syndrome - can be mistaken for tennis elbow) was caused by tennis whereas in fact it was from pruning overhead...

See what happens if you use the left hand instead.

SusannahD Fri 18-Dec-15 19:48:38

Yes it certainly can be the phone use or computer use, tennis elbow is a repetitive strain injury so any over use can cause it.

MrsMillions Fri 18-Dec-15 19:57:15

I'd second the acupuncture recommendation, really helped my dad when he got tennis elbow (from badminton).

Anomia10 Sat 19-Dec-15 13:05:51

My husband got it after overdoing it at the gym on the rowing machine. Computer keyboard made it worse. He couldn't even hold a newspaper! Physio did nothing for him, but the 6th session of acupuncture got rid of it, by the next day. He gets the odd twinge sometimes, and tries not to overdo things - but it's not a problem to him!

sksk Sun 20-Dec-15 21:05:46

I had tennis elbow in both arms at the same time!i had Physio, saw an osteopath and eventually used home ultrasound machine (Ultralieve, I think). It was a great help and I've used it for back pain, neck pain etc since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now