Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice please- who is responsible here?

(13 Posts)
marriednotdead Fri 18-Dec-15 10:19:44

Just a quick one on behalf of a friend. Being slightly vague so as to not be identifying.

She had an urgent (unplanned) medical procedure under GA a few days ago. Discharged same day but will not be fit to work for a couple of weeks.

As she was discharged (and still a bit groggy), she asked for a fit/sick note for work. They said what she had in her hand was it. Turns out it was just a discharge summary.

Had to go back to GP anyway for nurse appointment/wound management so asked GP for sick note. He's adamant hospital must issue it.
They are telling her to get it from the GP!

Meanwhile, work have suspended her pay pending correct paperwork. It's not a company that pays over and above but her pay covers her mortgage so she's very stressed.

Who can she get to break this impasse? Is there any document/leaflet to back her up?

Thanks if you have any helpful ideas. I'll check back here tonight when I get back from work in the hope that somebody wise has some answers smile

marriednotdead Fri 18-Dec-15 14:19:26

Hopeful bump smile

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 18-Dec-15 14:22:30

Poor thing. Can she ring pals? They're pretty good at this sort of thing.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 18-Dec-15 16:05:01

I'm no expert, but when I've been in hospital, they've given me a yellow slip with my NI number confirming I've been admitted. This was definitely not a fit note that you get from your GP. I don't know whether it would have been accepted by my employers as I went to my GP and she signed me off work going back to the date of my admission.

Even if this yellow slip would have been accepted by her employers, I'm fairly sure the hospital are not responsible for providing a fit note when she's been discharged. That makes no sense!

As speed is of the essence, I would suggest she starts by contacting the practice manager and see what he/she says.

It sounds like your friend has only been off a few days? You can self certificate for five days so I don't see how her work are already refusing her pay. My work have always been very good about waiting for me to submit a sick note.

exWifebeginsat40 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:54:59

the hospital is supposed to do the fit note but in my experience it doesn't happen. the GP will have the hospital notes so can do the note - insistent will help.

bigbluebus Fri 18-Dec-15 21:57:24

When my DH had day surgery they gave him a discharge letter to take to GP. It was the GP who then issued the fit note. The hospital consultant said 2 weeks off work verbally to DH. The GP issued a note for 4 weeks off!

Bugsylugs Fri 18-Dec-15 22:08:27

Well friend can self certify for a week. However it is the hospitals responsibility to issue the fit note for as long as they advise the operation renders your friend unfit to work. Unfortunately hospital doctors despite guidance from regulatory authorities often do not issue so patients hassle GPs to issue. Your

Bugsylugs Fri 18-Dec-15 22:10:09

Oops sorry posted too soon. Your friend's GP is actually the one who is right. Your friend should be contacting PALs to sort. Such a shame for your friend when they should be resting.

BillMurrey Fri 18-Dec-15 22:20:33

A similar thing happened to me. Had an operation requiring 6 weeks off work to recover but was only in as a day patient. Hospital were unable to organize a sick/fit note before I was discharged. GP happily issued one, but would only do it for a week at a time which was a PITA as I had to go back to the GP each time when unable to walk or drive.

Work just felt like I was pissing them about as each note was invariably late as I struggled to arrange gp apts at times I could get lifts.

Apparently the trick is to ask for a note when you first see a consultant (or whoever is going to perform the op) and to do this BEFORE your op, not after. Not much use if you go through A&E though I don't suppose.

Anyway - GP can do it, but may not want to (for some reason)

marriednotdead Fri 18-Dec-15 23:31:49

Hello, thank you all for your helpful replies smile

She's actually been off for a fortnight now, they operated on a Sunday after her third visit to A&E in the preceding 5 days. She was in so much pain but the first two resulted in her being sent her home with antibiotics and painkillers. She has a boisterous toddler who she couldn't even pick up.

Her GP told her he was trying to make a point and force the hospital 'to do their job properly' by refusing to issue the sick note but it's just caused her a load of stress.

Have had an update from her today. She has now complained to the practice manager and the hospital for misleading her.

A kind family member has also paid for a private consultation and sick certificate so pay is ok- good thing as she won't be back until the new year.

itsmine Sat 19-Dec-15 11:41:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marshy Sat 19-Dec-15 12:04:09

Hospital normally issue sick note to cover the hospital stay and gp thereafter.

Neither are really coming out of this well are they.....

FelicityBennett Sat 19-Dec-15 12:48:03

I am sorry that your friend is in this situation. It is the hospital that is responsible for providing a sick note for the entire time period she will need off post operatively.
It may be a ' 10 second job' but times by 20 patients a day it is no longer a 10 second job. Every operation has a different time period that is recommended off as well and it is the surgeons responsibility to know this and advise. There is no reason this could not be incorporated into the discharge process.
Appreciate is a shit situation for your friend but her GP is correct, she should complain to the hospital and the surgeon responsible for her care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now