Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraine. Forgot just how shit they are.

(9 Posts)
ThatsNotMyRabbit Thu 17-Dec-15 13:08:13

I used to get them in my early teens. Went on the pill at 17 and they stopped.

Came off the pill years ago and had the odd half hearted migraine - just a bit of funny vision and Headache but a couple of paracetamol would head them off nicely.

Over the last few weeks I've had the odd occasion of tingly hands and feet. Duly googled and found out that this can be a symptom of menopause so wasn't too worried.

Then a couple of weeks ago my right hand, arm and face went numb. Plus I felt all confused and couldn't speak properly. It went away within half an hour and I put it down to a hangover hmm

So, to yesterday evening. Vision went funny. Headache. Numb hand, arm and face. Slurring. Couldn't remember names. Couldn't in fact think very well at all. Raging nausea (no actual puking thank god). Severe neck pain.

Penny dropped. Fucking migraine.

Been to GP this morning, who confirmed suspicions. It's a relief actually; I was convinced I was getting MS or a stroke hmm

Been prescribed.....something. The prescription is at the pharmacy as we speak. Tryptophan or something??

Anyway. Any other sufferers about? Any tips?

amarmai Fri 18-Dec-15 21:42:32

my latest migraine cure from a new dr is magnesium citrate, vit D and vitB2. Started in July and seems to be working.

lougle Sat 19-Dec-15 10:56:02

There is research that found 900mg dispersible aspirin can be as good as triptans if taken at the beginning of a migraine.

Enfys1649 Sat 19-Dec-15 22:40:56

www.nationalmigrainecentre.org.uk/

If you can get to London, these people are very good. You can self-refer and you pay only what you can afford. Research/evidence based practice.

Might be worth a phone call? In any case, the website is useful and you can subscribe to a regular newsletter.

GothyGeisha Sat 19-Dec-15 22:57:37

Sumatriptan? Its been a Godsend for me, stops migraine in its tracks, suffered over 30 years

LassWiTheDelicateAir Mon 21-Dec-15 22:06:53

You have my sympathy. With me it was my left hand, arm and face which froze. If i was at work and on the phone voices were deafening. I also got confused and couldn't speak properly. I knew the words but they wouldn't come out in the right order.

Sumatriptan worked but I haven't had a full blown one for a while now. Migraleve also helped if I took as soon as I had a symptom.

AhhhhABaby Mon 21-Dec-15 23:05:40

Hey, I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraine in March after being admitted into hospital with a suspected stroke. I have a mild headache everyday and about 3 migraines a week, about 4 or 5 a month are that severe I can't move, usually my eyes just go blurry, left arm and leg weakness and numbness and left facial and head numbness and tingling. I have been on 4 different tablets going from lowest dose to highest and had to get them changed. Currently awaiting to get this lot changed as a side effeft is hand and foot tingling!

You really do have my sympathy and just wanted to let you know I'm only a pm away. I always get.... 'Awk it's only a headache'.....these people have clearly never experienced a real migraine!!!!

Hugs hun flowersfsmile

ThatsNotMyRabbit Tue 22-Dec-15 09:56:36

Thanks everyone!

AaaaaahABaby that sounds awful! You poor thing!

My head still isn't quite right. Prone to acheyness and general "heaviness" and I've been slightly giddy the last few days.

However (sorry tmi) I started the first period I've had in 4 months the other day which is horrendously heavy so wondering if it's all hormone linked.

Also my teenage spots seem to have returned after years in the wilderness. Oh it's all such fun isn't it?!

ThatsNotMyRabbit Tue 22-Dec-15 09:57:57

The tablets I was given are Imigran which I believe have sumatriptan in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now