Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Erg, what is this?

(8 Posts)
TabithaTwitchEye Thu 17-Dec-15 10:00:28

I've had a sore throat for nearly 4 weeks! Not agonising, and not bad enough to be off from work.

What's weird about it is that it's swapped sides a couple of times;,currently my right tonsil is fine and my left really sore. Hurts to swallow. Tiny white dots on it and quite red.

I guess if I go to the GP I'll be wasting their time as they will say it's a virus, but would a virus keep causing the pain to switch sides??

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 17-Dec-15 10:20:13

Go and see the GP and let that person take a look at it. You would not be wasting their time. You may be wrong in that this may be bacterial based rather than a virus.

iwillbemrsminty Thu 17-Dec-15 11:48:56

I agree with Attila, sounds bacterial rather than viral to me. If so, antibiotics coming your way!

TabithaTwitchEye Thu 17-Dec-15 13:29:47

Hmm, is it likely to go away by itself if bacterial? I'm not able to get a GP appointment until well into January now.

hiddenhome2 Thu 17-Dec-15 17:22:44

Get some Tyrozets from the chemists and gargle with either salt water or TCP.

You'll only need antibiotics if it's a nasty strep throat.

Twinkie1 Thu 17-Dec-15 17:24:34

Gargle with dilute hydrogen peroxide solution. About 60p in boots and then mix with water and gargle.

Will clear it up quicker than antibiotics and saves you a trip to the doctors.

TobleroneBoo Thu 17-Dec-15 17:29:48

I had ongoing throat pain, and after being palmed off once with infected sinuses, I went and saw a different gp who asked if I had heartburn which I did and suggested I sleep
Propped up as the acid was coming into my throat and laying there when I slept flat, it stopped almost overnight

angelpuffs Thu 17-Dec-15 19:46:01

It's a throat infection (bacterial). Antibiotics will clear it up quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now