Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best pain relief gel or other tips for bad back?

(6 Posts)
Cumberlover76 Wed 16-Dec-15 09:14:19

DH has lower back pain, probably pulled something at work and has asked me to pick up some pain relief gel, he said get the strongest but i've no idea what that might be. Any recommendations of the best gel to use, ideally that they sell in Superdrug or Wilko as i have 10% off in both shops and don't want to spend over £5 if possible as low on funds until next week.

trinity0097 Wed 16-Dec-15 17:17:08

Normal painkillers and alternate between hot water bottle and ice pack.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 16-Dec-15 17:25:17

Alternative paracetamol and ibuprofen. Gels don't work for me, use heat / cold.
Tell him to lie on the floor on his back, bend his knees upto his chest and rock up and down his spine (iykwim). Or when sitting pull each leg alternately up to his chest to stretch the lower back.

MarvinKMooney Wed 16-Dec-15 17:27:58

Yep, just get some standard ibuprofen tablets - you can get them pretty cheaply these days. When I had a bad back, my dh bought some gel (£7 ish a tube confused ) - I preferred the humble tablet, it worked much better for me. And yy to a hot water bottle.

maggiso Wed 16-Dec-15 18:47:54

Paracetamol tablets(and ibuprofen if he is not allergic) and stick on heat patches might just come in under budget. The curaheat patches are half price in Co-op pharmacy at present if that helps? If you want a gel, own brand is often cheaper.

MatildaTheCat Wed 16-Dec-15 21:03:23

These are the bees knees and at that price you can get own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen and job done.

Do hope he feels better soon. It takes time so tell him to lay off the lifting etc for a good while. fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now