Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

terrified help

(13 Posts)
lakia Tue 15-Dec-15 20:22:45

I am having surgery on Thursday to have my gallbladder removed so routine surgery and I am so scared of been put to sleep. I have never been put to sleep before and I am petrified of dying on the operating table or not waking up what if my son is left without a mom. I am overweight have borderline diabetes and a under active thyroid and I am middle aged so I feel worse about it I haven't exactly led a healthy life my diet is appalling and no excersise I feel like backing out help me get a grip.

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 20:42:11

Hello, sorry you are so worried. I haven't had the op you are having and I don't know how to reassure you, but I hope someone will be along in a minute - loads of people on here have had exactly this procedure and are still alive to talk about it smile

Please try not to worry. It's really, very unlikely indeed that anything will go wrong xx

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 20:42:52

and they wouldn't have put you forward for it if they didn't think you were a suitable candidate or if they thought it was very risky for you x

tobee Tue 15-Dec-15 23:32:01

Have you had your pre op check up yet? They are very thorough with it and won't allow you to have the surgery if they see anything contra indicative.

uggmum Tue 15-Dec-15 23:43:35

I had mine out a few years ago and I was really scared of not waking up afterwards.
My consultant was lovely and arranged for me to have morphine before hand.
I was so out of it I didn't care about anything.
My op went well as did my recovery.

LuluJakey1 Tue 15-Dec-15 23:56:40

I had it with similar weight, thyroid issues. It was better than having a filing at the dentist. The anaesthetic is lovely- it is like a huge gin and tonic and feels wonderful. It goes in the back of your hand and what seems like seconds later you wake up. I was so well afterwards I was up out of bed and dressed withn 2 hours, had some lunch and they let me go home at 3pm I was such a nuisance walking around askng if I could go. I never even had to take a paracetemol afterwards.

Stop worrying. You will be absolutely fine. Theatre staff are used to people being nervous. I was so nervous and scared I had been booked for a pre-med but when I arrived on the ward was booked in and was shown my bed the trolley was waiting to take me down and that was that. The theatre staff made it so easy and reassured me all the time. Honestly, you will be fine.

gingeroots Wed 16-Dec-15 09:24:57

I won't tell you to stop worrying because it is scary ,especially the first time .Even more so if you have a child and also if you feel you have a choice .Living with gallbladder issues rather than having an op .

I was beside myself when I went it for an op to sort out incontinence because I felt it was my fault I'd put myself in a position where I had to have an op .Bonkers ! The staff were so nice - one nurse in the bit you wait in before going through ,took one look at me and bent over and gave me a big hug .Which is what I wish I could do for you .

As I can't I'll send you postive vibes .Grit your teeth ,one foot in front of the other and tell yourself you have no choice .Also that this is the worst bit .Trust the staff .You can do this .

And it will ,honestly ,be ok .

I know having surgery is scary, especially if you have never had a GA before, but for the surgeon, the anaesthetist, and the theatre staff, it will just be another day at the office. They do these operations every day, with good outcomes. Everyone in the theatre is there to look after you, they will be monitoring you the whole time, that is the whole purpose of their job. You will be in very good hands. Concentrate on what it will be like after the surgery, when you are free from your gallbladder issues, imagine how glad you will be that you had the op!

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP flowers

tobee Wed 16-Dec-15 09:53:11

It might be a good idea to speak to your gp beforehand as they might be able to give you more reassurance. If that's not possible tell the nurses and doctors and the anaesthetist about your worries. They will all take your fear seriously and should be able to allay your concerns.

Mercury1234 Wed 16-Dec-15 10:20:37

I had eye surgery last week, the GA was absolutely brilliant. A lovely nurse stuck a few sticky pads on my chest for the heart monitor thing, she talked to me and held my hand whilst I laid flat and the anaesthetist put the cannula in the other hand. I concentrated on deep breathing, the nurse chatted to me about xmas and the anaesthetist said 'you'll feel a sharp scratch' which is all it was. He then said I'm giving you a little pre med which was really lovely, all warm and soothing. One minute I was talking about Christmas, the next I was waking up. Please try not to be afraid, it was absolutely fine and I'd never worry about having another one. Good luck

lakia Wed 16-Dec-15 10:39:25

Thanks so much for your lovely replies I will try and stop worrying.

MargaretHarborough Wed 16-Dec-15 11:06:11

Hello OP. What curioserandcuriouser says above is quite correct. When I had an operation a few years ago and was similarly wobbly I found it very helpful to think about the skills of all the staff in the operating theatre - all the study, knowledge, expertise and experience that made them the professionals that they are - and remember that for the duration of the operation, the ONLY job of these people was to keep me safe and get me through the operation. This thought really helped me stay calm!

Flumplet Wed 16-Dec-15 11:24:19

Hi OP, i've had this op, and i was overweight too. It went very smoothly. The last thing i remember saying to the doctors was "ooh i feel like i've had a G&T too many..." then bonk. The next thing i was being woken up and remember wondering to myself when i was going to be having the operation. the people looking after you are very well trained, very clever people. They do their job day in day out. once you've seen one gall bladder you've seen them all i suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now