Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To go to GP or not?

(10 Posts)
MistressofIndecision Mon 14-Dec-15 09:53:39

I've had a cough and cold for almost 2 weeks now, cough has mainly gone now, I've been taking over the counter cough medicine and decongestant but all weekend and today I've had a terrible headache, today is much worse sad I've taken pain killers this morning and also decongestant to help clear sinuses but headache is still lingering, dh has told me to make an appointment to see GP and also my colleague said that I should also go see GP, I think this is a waste of GP time as it's just a cold.

Would you go to see the GP or wait for it to clear up?

brunette123 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:58:19

Sounds like you might have sinusitis, which is bacterial need anti-biotics. Why not speak to a pharmacist then if they say you need GP you can tell receptionist that when you phone? I often find pharmacists v helpful.

Crankycunt Mon 14-Dec-15 10:00:16

What painkillers are you taking? As they can give you a headache.

MistressofIndecision Mon 14-Dec-15 10:15:07

brunette123 thanks, will go at lunchtime and speak to the pharmacist and see what they advise

crankycunt I'm taking Advil, it is usually very effective, and Boots own decongestant

brunette123 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:20:41

Meant to say "if" bacterial as you can also get viral sinusitis which does not respond to antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon

Clarella Mon 14-Dec-15 13:40:23

I say let the GP decide. I went in with a terrible cough as I'd spotted the cracking that made me think it might be bacterial, as I had it a couple of years ago - and said "I know it's likely to not need antibiotics but I wondered if you could just check as I'm feeling pretty rotten."

I was sort of surprised that it did need them as I'd only been ill 10 days - he said he was surprised too but that I had essentially a small patch of pneumonia. I think the feeling very woozy bit is often indication of a 'proper' infection. So just let them decide.

Clarella Mon 14-Dec-15 13:41:57

Are you steaming? Definitely get some Friars balsam and steam; apparently it really clears the bugs out to stop bacterial things taking hold when there's a virus.

OddBoots Mon 14-Dec-15 13:43:59

If you have any doubt then call 111, they will ask an annoying list of questions but at least you can have confidence that you are doing the correct thing. You don't want to go to the GP unless you have to, not least because it is the ideal place to pick up another bug just in time for Christmas.

MistressofIndecision Fri 18-Dec-15 12:14:27

Thank you all, went to see GP in the end and been prescribed antibiotics and I do have sinusitis brunette123 sad

Hopefully will be better for Christmas grin

brunette123 Fri 18-Dec-15 19:36:21

hope you feel better soon - I thought you might as I have had it so many times and either take amoxycillin or doxycline. Look after yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now