Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hard pea sized lump in armpit

(10 Posts)
MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 13-Dec-15 17:01:47

It's been there for a couple of months, I assumed it was a trapped hair from shaving, but having googled, that should have gone by now/become red swollen and sore. This one isn't painful and feels attached underneath.

Is this a "go to GP on a same day appointment", "get an appointment when you can but within the next couple of weeks" or "OK to leave it till after Christmas"?

No lumps in either breast, no family history of BC, I'm 45 so too young for "it's just your age" BC (as it was phrased to MIL last year when she queried if there was a genetic link as her DM and both sister had all had BC).

I can't get an appointment with my GP till after the middle of January, but can get a booked appointment on 22nd December, otherwise it's phone on the day, and I haven't got a free day till Friday.

Any experiences of something similar, and those who know about these things, does it sound like I should be doing something more than looking and noticing that it's still there?

HellesBelles01 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:29:04

I had something similar a few years ago - a hard, pea size lump on the side of my neck. Completely painless, not red or even visible under my skin. I'm not sure how long it was there, I noticed it when fiddling with my necklace one day. Then I couldn't leave it alone!

I took the first non urgent GP appointment. He referred me for an ultrasound scan, which was done really fast, within a week. Turned out to be a swollen lymph node, otherwise all normal, no other symptoms. I just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting bigger. If it changes, I'll go straight back to the GP.

If you can be seen before Christmas, I would take the appointment. My GP told me that lumps and bumps are very common and are often completely benign but should be checked out ASAP, if only to put your mind at rest.

Gliblet Sun 13-Dec-15 17:33:32

I had one of these a few months ago. I do have a history of breast cancer in my family (both sides) so went and got it checked out - GP was pretty sure it was a follicular cyst but referred me on for a scan because, in her words, she has a low referral threshold and would rather be safe than sorry.

It was a follicular cyst, and it has since gone down, then swollen up a little, then gone down again.

Definitely get it checked out for peace of mind.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 13-Dec-15 17:39:54

Hmm thanks both of you, I'll go and book the next week appointment, then if they want to refer, that can start beforeChristmas

Purplehonesty Sun 13-Dec-15 21:12:45

I get one like that. It comes and goes and seems to get worse with a particular type of deodorant(!)
I've been to the doc twice with it and been to the breast clinic but nothing sinister just a cyst.
Sometimes it's there and others I can't find it.
Hope yours is the same

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Fri 18-Dec-15 09:01:51

GP appointment this morning, thanks for being reassuring that there are more common things it could be smile

Frazzled2207 Fri 18-Dec-15 09:14:46

I had one recently, went to gp who said it was harmless cyst that would probably go away. It vanished a month or so later.

HellesBelles01 Fri 18-Dec-15 19:47:45

How did you get on today, OP? Hope all went well flowers

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 20-Dec-15 11:39:03

thankfully it's a blocked sweat gland, advice was not to bother getting it removed as I'd then have a scar, but obviously to go back if anything changed. She had a good rummage at my boobs, declared them OK, and gave my the generic healthy lifestyle lecture smile.

Thank you all for stopping me imagining the worst, and flowers to everyone with lumps of whatever kind.

HellesBelles01 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:09:45

Glad to hear all ok. You can now relax and enjoy the festive season. Best wishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now