Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Water Plaque Remover

(11 Posts)
pilates Sat 12-Dec-15 09:51:15

What do you think of them?

If so, which one would you recommend.

Pleasemrstweedie Sat 12-Dec-15 16:36:01

I asked my dentist about these. She feels they are fun to use but no substitute for proper interdental cleaning,

pilates Sat 12-Dec-15 16:53:54

Ok thanks, that's what i thought.

maggiso Sun 13-Dec-15 23:40:34

My dental hegienist suggested I buy one of these- she would not advise a particular model but I got the Phillips - but I am not totally convinced. Most my teeth are too close together for it to work properly. It is however quicker than flossing (I always get the floss stuck) so easier to do. i go back this week so will see if the dentist has notest any improvement!

pilates Mon 14-Dec-15 08:32:12

Thanks Maggiso. Can you update as to whether your dentist was able to see any improvement?

maggiso Wed 16-Dec-15 12:41:33

Ok - the verdict is in-- it has made a big difference to my gum health. Some of my teeth are too close together to clean well - but even these were thought to be a bit better. It was also a lot less uncomfortable having my teeth descaled than before I started using the airflosser (sore gums). I also have a new electric toothbrush - more powerful than my old one.

I bought the Phillips sonicare airfloss - because it was available on offer in my local shop, did not need a water or power supply next to the sink, and could be used with mouthwash. (My autistic son likes mouth wash so I thought I might get to use it for him too- as an incentive to first let me clean his teeth). It lasts about a week between charges, so can be charged away from the bathroom where we have no powerpoint. Disadvantages - its only intended to be used from the front (although you can use it from the back too), it falls over quite easily (which can break the end- but now I have found a nitch for it), I can't refill the reservoir one handed - (it tends to roll away if not held) but others probably can. I point out the reservoir size because when originally advised to buy a water flosser, I was told to make sure the reservoir (where the water or mouthwash goes) is big enough for an entire use - well it is!

lylny Wed 16-Dec-15 12:46:14

I have that too and it's made a big difference to me - admittedly mostly because it's less work for me so I'm less likely to skip flossing when I can't be bothered. I'm much more consistent with using the airfloss.

maggiso Wed 16-Dec-15 13:51:32

I think that was the point for me too lylny -traditional flossing takes me ages (especially after a wrist injury) but the airflosser is quick (and requires less dexterity) so I use it as often as I am supposed to!

pilates Wed 16-Dec-15 17:40:06

Thanks for the update Maggiso.

I think I may get one now.

amarmai Fri 18-Dec-15 21:46:14

My gums love my Water Pik-and i use an electric toothbrush.

amarmai Sat 19-Dec-15 18:06:39

also use baking soda for toothpaste , which adds enuf abrasive action to deal with the placque.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now