Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smell/taste has run away

(8 Posts)
oldsilver Fri 11-Dec-15 14:05:31

Yup, packed it's little hanky, slung it over it's shoulder and absconded hand in hand with my sense of taste.

Slight bout of sinusitis-have steamed, taken decongestants, anti histimine and blowing me nose

oldsilver Fri 11-Dec-15 14:08:55

Pah, stupid phone...a lot.

Works do tonight, favourite time of year for food and it's goinfg to smell/taste of nothing.

Any quick tips to encourage them back? Please. Ta everso.

29PaddingtonSt Fri 11-Dec-15 14:42:42

I sympathise! I've had sinusitis and no sense of taste or smell for each of the last three Christmases. I was just thinking earlier in the week that none of us have had colds this Autumn but have woken up with a sore throat and sneezing this morning and feel like a cold is on its way- perfectly timed to have sinusitis this Christmas.angry

oldsilver Fri 11-Dec-15 17:22:43

Hope it's just a cold this time!

I am not enjoying this one bit, even my brew is tasteless <sobs>

ellenjames Fri 11-Dec-15 17:25:55

Sinus rinse is the best thing I found for any sinus problems smile

oldsilver Fri 11-Dec-15 18:00:14

Thank you! I shall purchase some tomorrow.

Once more into the steam inhalation dear friends...

oldsilver Fri 11-Dec-15 18:04:19

DP slightly perturbed last night when I liberally doused the house in Olbas oil to help alleviate DS's cough - I asked him if it was off as I couldn't smell it. Meanwhile DP and DS's eyes were streaming from the fumes...oopsy.

maggiso Fri 11-Dec-15 19:48:44

I'm in the same boat. It just shows how our sense of taste is partially dependent on smell. I use Sterimar saline spray (or similar) as it is easy to use. The taste I do get is mighty odd - off milk instead of tea! (but the milk apparently is fine)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now