Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you get wee tested for sugar other than at a doctor's?

(9 Posts)
Draylon Fri 11-Dec-15 12:26:06

e.g. other than the GP or hospital?

I want to be caution but am not overly worried. DS, 16 is complaining of being tired and wanting to drink quite a lot but a GP appt would take 2 weeks (think:Xmas) and I just want reassurance.

frikadela01 Fri 11-Dec-15 12:27:55

You can buy test strips online but it isn't as simple as looking for glucose in urine. Just try and get an Appointment.

Whatdoidohelp Fri 11-Dec-15 12:33:27

Ask for telephone appt. undiagnosed type 1 diabetes in a child is a medical emergency. State that to the receptionist.

Draylon Fri 11-Dec-15 13:18:47

Ta, all!

TattieHowkerz Fri 11-Dec-15 13:26:29

He really needs to gets even by a doctor straight away. Emergency GP appointment,walk-in, minor injuries, A&E are all options. It is an emergency.

Draylon Fri 11-Dec-15 17:10:41

Spoke to the GP triage nurse (as did DS). She's not that worried; she says the symptoms to be very concerned about are:

Excessive thirst building over 3 weeks, and
Excessive weeing, and
Unexplained tiredness, and
Rapid weight loss.

He has had greater thirst over a few days;
No excess weeing
Tiredness (though end of term one in sixth form)
and no weight loss

So urine sample on Monday.

lennonj Fri 11-Dec-15 18:54:32

My son was diagnosed after 1 week of drinking more, and weeing more, but he didn't have the other 2 signs. If you're at all concerned over the weekend go to a walk in or a&e as to many children are diagnosed when seriously ill.

Flossieflower01 Fri 11-Dec-15 18:57:27

Get a blood glucose test done asap (before Monday!)- I say this as a mother to a son diagnosed with type 1 this year who wasn't unwell (was drinking and seeing more and was tired).

Draylon Tue 15-Dec-15 09:22:28

Hi, update; wee sample was clear, DS saying he's feeling normal again, which is good.

I think he was a bit surprised that I'd taken him seriously! But I hope has observed a lesson about getting things checked out.

Now, if I could get my DB, 55, to go to the GP with the cough he's had for a month, heavy smoker....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now