Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First time cystitis?

(8 Posts)
Thurlow Fri 11-Dec-15 10:46:24

Or at least I think it is cystitis. I need to pee a lot, it smelt really bad this morning (sorry), it burns a bit when I pee, and I have a dull ache around my bladder. I don't have a temperature and am not in agony though.

I've bought some of those sachets and am going to drink more water than I've ever drank before! Just it's Friday, sod's law, and so the GP closes at lunchtime. Please tell me I'm not going to have to annoy OoH this weekend if it just stays at the stinging stage? Will it clear up itself?

nmg85 Fri 11-Dec-15 11:55:20

It may clear up itself but it could be an infection and you may need antibiotics. Don't overdo the water as that can also be bad. Take it easy and see how the Sachets go.

Thurlow Fri 11-Dec-15 12:05:52

How does drinking too much cause problems too? <worried>

After some probably ill-advised Googling I can't decide if it's cystitis or thrush. I assume you can just take all the pills and hope for the best?

nmg85 Fri 11-Dec-15 12:17:52

You can 'overdose' on water if you drink excessive amounts it is something to do with lowering the levels of sodium in your blood to much, it is highly unlikely but you did mention drinking a lot more water so I thought I would mention it. I would never take medications together without checking with the pharmacist or dr but then I have had reactions in the past. I have had cystitis before but not thrush so can't comment. I have the chronic bladder condition IC so i feel your pain and discomfort.
Wearing cotton underwear is good (granny pants not thongs etc), so is trying to reduce irritants such as caffeine, alcohol and acidic or spicy foods.

Anomia10 Sun 13-Dec-15 08:18:27

Cranberry juice is good at preventing cystitis, although as its acidic, it might increase the pain now.

An alternative to the sachets is potassium citrate, which you can buy OTC at the pharmacy. (Even bicarbonate of soda taken in water) will ease the pain in an emergency) Ask the pharmacist for advice on dosing, as previous poster said, too much sodium or potassium can mess with your own levels!

You can take paracetamol for the general pain around the bladder.

Avoid putting stuff in your bathwater like bubble bath; and make sure you urinate within half an hour of sex - to flush out any bacteria that got into your ureter by accident. Drink a glass of water before sex if necessary, to ensure you can go.

Anomia10 Sun 13-Dec-15 08:32:55

If it does not clear up in a couple of days, go to the doctor. Ask at reception, before the appointment for a sterile pot. Take a midstream urine specimen in the pot first thing in the morning. For some reason, you don't use the first urine that comes out. The bacteria have time to build up in your urine during the night, so the test is more likely to be positive than if you do the specimen at any old time of day. Take the specimen with you to the appointment - saves waiting an extra day in pain, rather than doing it the morning after the appointment.

Anomia10 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:17:18

Should be urethra not ureter!

Thurlow Sun 13-Dec-15 19:47:37

Well, by the end of the day it became very obvious it was terrible thrush, but I'm not sure whether it's caused a knock on problem as well.

Thank you for the advice though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now